Machine Learning Researcher
Emeryville, CA /
At Shiru we believe that food should be delicious and nourishing without negatively affecting our planet. Acknowledging our growing global population as well as the imminent effects of climate change, Shiru’s mission is to create better protein ingredients that will catapult us into a sustainable food future.
With our mission in mind, Shiru makes high quality, functional food proteins through better leveraging our precious environmental resources. To do this, we employ technologies originally created to solve problems in adjacent industries, including computational biology, machine learning, and industrial fermentation and bioprocessing.
We apply computational intelligence to find the most functional natural food proteins in the world, harnessing the inherent ability of microflora to produce them. We then partner with food and beverage companies to incorporate these unique protein ingredients into everyday products. Shiru is now expanding our team of dedicated professionals across multiple disciplines to make enhanced protein ingredients for a better world.
As a Machine Learning Researcher, you will participate in researching and applying Machine Learning techniques to represent and find novel proteins to be used in the food industry. You will have a great impact on the design and development of models that will shape our protein discovery process. You will work closely with a very talented team, learn a broad range of skills, and help support and shape Shiru’s culture, research direction, and outcomes.
- Designing statistical experiments to guide our quantitative decision making process.
- Designing and developing machine learning algorithms that will improve our protein selection process and/or accelerate our understanding of protein structure and function.
- Keep watching, learning and reporting the latest findings in the research field at the intersection of proteomics and machine learning.
- Iteratively delivering models, knowledge and experimental results to better search in the protein space.
Attributes You Bring:
- You are creative
- You have the ability to work independently and troubleshoot resourcefully
- You can quickly adapt to a change of plan, protocol or data
- You are curious and doubt reasonably
- You have good communication and pedagogical skills
- You thrive in a collaborative and multidisciplinary team and have the ability to scope
- You are not afraid to ask questions
- You are not afraid to ask for and give constructive feedback
Required Background and Skills:
- BS/MS or PhD in statistics, machine learning, computer science or related field.
- Strong understanding of statistical theory.
- Deep knowledge of the main theoretical principles at play in Machine Learning/Deep Learning.
- Fluent in more than one Machine Learning library.
Preferred Background and Skills:
- Participation to a Kaggle competition (or similar)
- Experience in publishing your work (in a journal, conference or workshop)
- Experience with Graph Neural Networks
- Experience in training large transformers
- Experience with proteomics or genomics data.
This role can be a US-based remote role. The team is based in Emeryville, CA so collaboration and meetings will be in west coast hours (PST).
At Shiru, we're looking for people with passion, grit, and integrity. You're encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn't precisely match the job description. We’re expecting your skills and passion to stand out—and set you apart—especially if your career has taken some extraordinary twists and turns. Please join us in this singular opportunity to create the future of food!
Shiru is an equal opportunity employer who values diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Shiru offers competitive compensation and employee benefits along with an attractive equity package commensurate with candidate qualifications.