Senior Bioinformatics Scientist
Emeryville, CA /
At Shiru we believe that food should be delicious and nourishing without negatively affecting our planet. Acknowledging our growing global population as well as the imminent effects of climate change, Shiru’s mission is to create better protein ingredients that will catapult us into a sustainable food future.
With our mission in mind, Shiru makes high quality, functional food proteins through better leveraging our precious environmental resources. To do this, we employ technologies originally created to solve problems in adjacent industries, including computational biology, machine learning, and industrial fermentation and bioprocessing.
We apply computational intelligence to find the most functional natural food proteins in the world, harnessing the inherent ability of microflora to produce them. We then partner with food and beverage companies to incorporate these unique protein ingredients into everyday products. Shiru is now expanding our team of dedicated professionals across multiple disciplines to make enhanced protein ingredients for a better world.
About the role
Shiru is looking for a Bioinformatics Scientist to build and advance our data analytics platform to facilitate machine learning for prediction of food specific plant proteins. This role is highly multidisciplinary and benefits from expertise in bioinformatics, protein science, biology, software engineering, machine learning, and data exploration. You will work in a highly cross functional environment and collaborate with wet lab scientists, engineers, and business analysts. As a key member of an early stage engineering team, you will wear many hats and have a great opportunity for growth.
You are an experienced researcher in protein engineering, therapeutics, or synthetic biology. You can analyze and interpret experimental data to drive decision making in both the wet and dry lab. You can leverage your statistical and analytical skills to aid laboratory experimental design and like collaborating with and helping scientists. You can also apply your software engineering experience to build tools and platforms for scientific exploration. You have great communications skills and can present complex scientific concepts to multiple audiences.
● Integrate internal and external protein data sources to facilitate the identification of functional food traits.
● Create bioinformatics pipelines and tools to generate protein annotations for use in machine learning applications.
● Work closely with laboratory scientists to turn experimental data into actionable knowledge.
● Collaborate with software and machine learning engineers to translate R&D analyses to production workflows.
● Work with commercial and product teams to provide technical support and guidance for external engagements.
● Create dashboards and visualizations to share and communicate experimental data analyses to cross functional teams.
● You write clean, modular, and maintainable code.
● You are a continual learner and drive innovation by understanding new frameworks and technologies.
● You are a self-starter, comfortable taking initiative without direct supervision.
● Excellent communication and stakeholder management skills with the ability to relay technical information to non-technical audiences.
● You take pride in doing meaningful work and strive to be part of a business dedicated to having a positive impact on the planet.
● BS/MS/PhD in Bioinformatics or a highly related discipline
● 5+ years of experience working across highly cross functional teams
● Expertise in Python and working with large datasets in Pandas/Jupyter
● Expertise with standard protein sequence and structure bioinformatics tools
● Expertise in generating sequence-based protein features
● Experience with relational databases and SQL
● Experience with public genomic and protein datasets such as UniProt, PDB, and NCBI
● Proficiency with Unix, Git, and other command-line tools
Nice to Have, but not Required
● Experience in an interdisciplinary research environment related to protein function prediction such as identifying a sequence-structure-function relationships of a protein family is a plus
● Familiarity with the AWS ecosystem
● Experience with workflow managers such as Airflow, Luigi, or Snakemake
● Experience working with distributed datasets (Spark, Dask)
At Shiru, we're looking for people with passion, grit, and integrity. You're encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn't precisely match the job description. We’re expecting your skills and passion to stand out—and set you apart—especially if your career has taken some extraordinary twists and turns. Please join us in this singular opportunity to create the future of food!
Shiru is an equal opportunity employer who values diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Shiru offers competitive compensation and employee benefits along with an attractive equity package commensurate with candidate qualifications.