Singapore, Singapore /
Engineering – Software Engineering /
Build the Smarter Way to Shop!
ShopBack, the #1 rewards and discovery platform in Asia-Pacific, enables shoppers across the region to shop ‘The Smarter Way”. It is a one-stop rewards and discovery platform for users to earn cashback, while delivering performance-based marketing to merchants. First launched in Singapore in 2014, ShopBack has since expanded its reach to Malaysia, Indonesia, the Philippines, Thailand, Taiwan, Australia, and more recently, Vietnam and Korea. In Singapore, the company has also extended its service offering with ShopBack GO, an app-based rewards platform for in-store shopping, dining, and entertainment. We are a passionate team that wants to drive innovation and build a product that we love and are all proud of!
ShopBack partners with over 3,000 merchants including Taobao, Expedia, Shopee, ZALORA to reward its users with cashback across a wide range of categories including general merchandise, travel bookings, fashion, health and beauty, groceries, and food delivery. To date, US$100m in cashback has been awarded to our over 20 million users.
We have global ambitions and are up against international incumbents in a rapidly emerging field! We are expanding our existing team and are looking for passionate talent across APAC to be part of this exciting journey. If you are inspired to take up new challenges and leave a mark on the e-commerce landscape, then come and be part of our growing ShopBack Family!
About the role:
We are looking for a seasoned architect to join our team - an architect that has the knowledge and experience to transition the systems of a start-up to that of a scale-up. ShopBack’s original systems were built for a single market and a single use case - giving cashback for online transactions at our partner merchants. The business has now grown to nine markets with a minimum of two core use cases for each market.
In this position, you will be responsible for designing and implementing an architecture that can scale with the evolving business needs of ShopBack. The ability to connect the technical roadmap with measurable business KPIs will be critical.
To be successful in this role, it is essential that you understand the constraints of a start-up in transition with a clear vision of what the future will be and a practical approach to get us there. It is necessary that you have built systems with security, reliability, scalability and maintainability as part of the design from day zero.
You must have a genuine interest in technology as well as in the following industries - affiliate marketing, payments, e-commerce, and rewards. We are looking for an individual with informed and considered opinions on how technology related decisions and industry trends inform and reinforce each other.
This is an opportunity to join a fast-growing start-up that enables thousands of merchants and brands to engage with millions of customers across all our 9 markets!
- Partner with engineering leaders, product and business teams to drive long-term architecture planning to ensure alignment between the business, technical, and product roadmap so that ShopBack is well positioned for growth and scale
- Design new systems and services that are secure, reliable, scalable, and maintainable from day zero
- Empower teams to design better systems that are highly scalable, globally distributed, cost-effective, and more efficient
- Create actionable plans with effective risk management to deprecate legacy systems and migrate to new systems and services
- Design an architecture that supports internalisation and localisation efforts so that we can launch with a faster turnaround time
- A source of informed opinions when the product team is making decisions to build or buy
- Design internally built systems to securely integrate with external systems
- Ensure appropriate governance exists for all cloud applications so that appropriate regulatory, compliance, security, and architecture controls are effectively maintained across all markets
- Review security architectures, designs, and implementations to ensure compliance with prevailing security policies and standards. Identify design gaps and implement security enhancements
- Drive the end-to-end ownership of shaping, designing, and executing solutions & defining the right architectural approach
- Min Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or Information Systems
- 10+ years of proven experience in similar roles as a hands-on senior architect or a solutions architect with a strong focus on cloud technology
- Proven experience working for a consumer technology company/established start-up that has achieved scale
- Strong technical knowledge of consumer-facing applications, systems designs, platforms, data ecosystems, and governance with the ability to go deep on technical aspects. To understand current and anticipate future company needs and present AWS technical solutions
- Deep exposure to microservices architectures, API gateways, data lake design, container orchestration platforms, DevOps processes, and CI/CD
- Understanding of solution trade-offs such as cost, scope, risks, and timelines that balance between long-term strategic and short-term pragmatic considerations
- Strong communication skills with the ability to present and explain complex architecture problems to technical and business stakeholders