Vice President of Engineering
Engineering – Management /
Build the Smarter Way to Shop!
ShopBack, the #1 rewards and discovery platform in Asia-Pacific, enables shoppers across the region to shop ‘The Smarter Way”. It is a one-stop rewards and discovery platform for users to earn cashback, while delivering performance-based marketing to merchants. First launched in Singapore in 2014, ShopBack has since expanded its reach to Malaysia, Indonesia, the Philippines, Thailand, Taiwan, Australia, and more recently, Vietnam and Korea. In Singapore, the company has also extended its service offering with ShopBack GO, an app-based rewards platform for in-store shopping, dining, and entertainment. We are a passionate team that wants to drive innovation and build a product that we love and are all proud of!
ShopBack partners with over 3,000 merchants including Taobao, Expedia, Shopee, ZALORA to reward its users with cashback across a wide range of categories including general merchandise, travel bookings, fashion, health and beauty, groceries, and food delivery. To date, US$100m in cashback has been awarded to our over 20 million users.
We have global ambitions and are up against international incumbents in a rapidly emerging field! We are expanding our existing team and are looking for passionate talent across APAC to be part of this exciting journey. If you are inspired to take up new challenges and leave a mark on the e-commerce landscape, then come and be part of our growing ShopBack Family!
- As we scale rapidly, we are looking to bring on board an industry veteran who has experienced this stage and speed of growth and can steer our talented tech team in the right direction. This individual should possess foresight, considerable organizational prowess, and a natural desire to take on challenges through innovative and unconventional methods, for you will be pivotal to the success of the company. The role will involve the following:
- Able to architect systems that can horizontally scale to millions of users. Also, suggest how to improve the existing architecture.
- Coordinate with Senior Management to drive the company’s growth and development from a tech perspective.
- To have solid analytical skills and to effectively handle multiple aspects of a complex project and ensure all deadlines are met.
- Build, manage and validate Tech Roadmap for ShopBack’s product and engineering team.
- Lead and mentor other highly skilled engineers, building a progressive and innovative engineering culture
- Work with multiple country teams & departments and adjust rapidly changing priorities.
- Attract and retain high-quality talent to our organization
- Min Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or Information Systems
- 10+ years of experience in large systems software design and web development. With at least 5 years Java/Scala experience or a polyglot engineer (Java, Scala, Python etc).
- Experience on different databases. Relational (PostgreSQL, MySQL, ...) and NoSQL(MongoDB, CouchDB, Cassandra).
- Excellent knowledge of microservice architecture & database architecture and optimization.
- Strong background or familiarity with reusable components and templates, customization of pipelines and events, personalization & Sitecore search like Elasticsearch.
- Familiar with some Python libraries: Pandas, Numpy, SQLAlchemy, Django, Fabric, Celery
- Good at designing RDBMS database tables, indexes as well as optimizing queries.
- Good at using AWS services (i.e., EC2 instances, S3, ElasticCache, PostgresQL, Redshift).
- Detail-oriented and willing to work in a fast-paced environment
- Willing to learn new techniques and mentor other team members.
- Strong leadership capabilities and communication skills.