Chief Technology Officer
Singapore, Singapore /
Engineering – Management /
Build the Smarter Way to Shop!
ShopBack, the #1 rewards and discovery platform in Asia-Pacific, enables shoppers across the region to shop ‘The Smarter Way”. It is a one-stop rewards and discovery platform for users to earn cashback, while delivering performance-based marketing to merchants. First launched in Singapore in 2014, ShopBack has since expanded its reach to Malaysia, Indonesia, the Philippines, Thailand, Taiwan, Australia, and more recently, Vietnam and Korea. In Singapore, the company has also extended its service offering with ShopBack GO, an app-based rewards platform for in-store shopping, dining, and entertainment. We are a passionate team that wants to drive innovation and build a product that we love and are all proud of!
ShopBack partners with over 3,000 merchants including Taobao, Expedia, Shopee, ZALORA to reward its users with cashback across a wide range of categories including general merchandise, travel bookings, fashion, health and beauty, groceries, and food delivery. To date, US$100m in cashback has been awarded to our over 20 million users.
We have global ambitions and are up against international incumbents in a rapidly emerging field! We are expanding our existing team and are looking for passionate talent across APAC to be part of this exciting journey. If you are inspired to take up new challenges and leave a mark on the e-commerce landscape, then come and be part of our growing ShopBack Family!
As we scale rapidly, we are looking to bring on board an industry veteran who has experienced this stage and speed of growth and can lead our talented technology team. This individual should possess foresight, organisational prowess, and a natural desire to take on challenges through innovative and unconventional methods, for you will be pivotal to the success of the company. The role will involve the following:
- Driving the entire strategic and technical direction for ShopBack
- As a member of the leadership team, the CTO will envisage and establish the technical vision for the business
- Strong understanding of business landscapes to create and drive new value propositions for our stakeholders (ShopBackers, Users & Merchants)
- Build, develop, lead a world class engineering team
- Lead and mentor other highly skilled engineers, building a progressive and innovative engineering culture
- Able to architect and scale our double sided platform for both ShopBack’s merchants and users
- Build, manage and validate Tech Roadmap for ShopBack’s product and engineering team in across multiple technical hubs regionally
- To have solid analytical skills and to effectively handle multiple aspects of a complex project and ensure all deadlines are met
- Work with multiple country teams & departments and adjust rapidly changing priorities
- Attract, retain and develop high-quality talent to our organization
- Min Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or Information Systems
- Proven experience as a CTO or in a similar technology leadership role for a consumer technology company/established start-up that has achieved scale
- Strong leadership capabilities - with proven success of building, developing and leading a world class engineering team
- Solid knowledge in building and managing complex technical infrastructures & business knowledge
- Proven track record of taking ownership and delivering results in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
- Proactive with a roll up your sleeves attitude to achieve goals and deliver great experiences for customers
- Excellent knowledge of microservice architecture & database architecture and optimisation.
- Experience in large systems software design and web development
- With at least 5 years Java/Scala experience or a polyglot engineer (Java, Scala, Python etc)
- Strong knowledge of technology in all areas: systems development/architecture, security, databases and to be able to oversee, manage and bring together all technology areas
- Experience in building mobile and web products
- Deep understanding of cloud infrastructure and solutions (such as AWS, Azure etc.)
- Strong background or familiarity with reusable components and templates, customisation of pipelines and events, personalisation & Sitecore search like Elasticsearch