Senior Merchant Underwriting Associate
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia /
Risk – Risk /
The ShopBack Group is Asia-Pacific’s leading shopping, rewards, and payments platform, serving over 40 million shoppers across ten markets.
Driven by the vision to become the world's most rewarding way to shop, ShopBack is dedicated to saving members money and time, while delivering delightful experiences with every purchase. The platform also enables merchants and brands to engage with their members in a cost-effective manner.
Founded in 2014, ShopBack now powers over US$3.7 billion in annual sales for over 15,000 online and in-store partners, with over half a million transactions happening via the platform daily. In 2022, ShopBack expanded its offerings into the realm of financial services with the launch of ShopBack Pay and PayLater - providing members with responsible and convenient payment options at checkout, while empowering partners with more ways to engage potential customers.
As a senior merchant underwriting associate , you will assess financial risk related to credit and fraud associated with the merchants. You will also coordinate with cross-functional partners to assess non-financial risk - brand, legal and compliance risk. The ideal candidate will have knowledge or experience in e-commerce underwriting and/or commercial lending. They will also have a proven understanding of evaluating merchant financial risk based on 3rd party data, credit reports, and other merchant attributes. Prior work experience in payments, lending, banking or financial institutions is a plus!
What you'll do
- Assess brand, compliance and financial risk and resolve credit exposure risk on new and existing merchants
- Use business credit reports, financial statements, investigative research tools, and financial market data to conduct risk assessment of ShopBack’s merchants
- Investigate and use new sources of third party data to assess merchant financial risk
- Conduct ongoing monitoring of credit, fraud, and dispute/chargeback trends by merchants
- Business Process Improvement: Demonstrate your knowledge to provide guidance towards the automation/improvements of merchant risk evaluation
What we look for
- 2+ years of experience in assessing merchant risk in a function such as Merchant/Seller Risk Management or Merchant Underwriting
- Experience working with cross functional partners across the organization, especially Sales and Business Development teams
- Experience reviewing financial statements, business credit reports and payment processor statements
- Ownership mentality: Demonstrate an appropriate sense of accountability, ownership, urgency and execution
- An understanding for how to perform data extraction and manipulation, as well as programming languages is a plus (SQL, R, Python, MatLab, Java, C# etc.).