Caching Platform - Production Engineering
At Shopify we run hundreds of applications that make commerce better for everyone. To support our development team moving quickly and building for the long term, our caching platform runs the caching infrastructure, maintains the libraries used to access such systems and advises our developers on proper use of the caching layers. Our objective is to create a simple to use system that can allow for rapid prototyping, while simultaneously being powerful and customizable enough to incubate new ideas from inception to production.
You will work with other Production Engineering teams to provide a core service that all developers and services at Shopify will use. This will be used to empower new features and ensure reliability across the entire company.
Requirements for the role:
- Awesome programming skills. We usually work with Ruby and Go, but experience in any language works.
- Ability to be resourceful and independently learn new languages, software, frameworks and APIs
- Experience debugging and maintaining distributed systems
- Problem solving and critical thinking skills
- An understanding of what it’s like to build an app from ground-up, to bridge the gap between an app and the system that runs it
- Familiarity with commercial PaaS systems, such as Heroku
- Experience with scaling system architecture and knowledge of orchestration tools such as Mesos or Kubernetes
- Experience with continuous delivery processes with an emphasis on automation
Relevant experience for the role:
- Familiarity with memcached/mc-router and/or redis
- Experience with Ruby and/or Rails
- Experience with C/C++Ability to debug at the Linux system level
- Experience developing monitoring, tooling and alerting at scale, high availability systems
- Professional knowledge of a major cloud provider (AWS, Azure, Google Cloud)
- Experience with resiliency and capacity planning of large internet services
Projects you could work on:
- Improving the efficiency of our caching layers
- Rationalizing the usage of multiple libraries across different services
- Building tooling for service owners to be able to run their services independently
The 🛠 ‘s you will use include: Redis, Memcached, Go, Kubernetes, Docker, GCP, AWS, GitHub, Ruby, Rails, MySQL, Nginx
There is an on-call component to this role. You will share an on-call rotation alongside your team.
If you’re interested in helping us shape the future of commerce at Shopify, click the “Apply For This Job” button to submit your application. Be sure to address your cover letter to Tyler in the additional info section and tell him why you think you'd be great for the role.