Data Science Manager- Retail
R&D – Data Science & Engineering
At Shopify, we recognize that after our people, our most important asset is our data. With over 10+ years of aggregate ecommerce data, we are driven by the potential insights that our data can provide. Our 800,000+ merchants process over $72 billion in gross merchant volume through our platform, and depend on us to deliver insights that enable them to grow their business
Our Shopify Retail team’s mission is to make in-person commerce better for everyone. We build products and technology that empower leading brands to create exceptional in-person selling experiences. One innovation at a time, we are partnering with entrepreneurs to build the next generation of retail. Shopify Retail is growing incredibly quickly and is among Shopify’s top long-term priorities. Today, we are helping power retailers like Allbirds, A.P.C. and many more.
The Retail Data science team is a strategic partner across Product, Engineering, Go-to-market (GTM), and Biz ops. We enable these functions to make data informed decisions by bringing visibility and strategic insight.
As the Retail Data science leader, you will lead our team of world class data scientists focussed on delivering meaningful insights and solutions to help improve our products, maximize the effectiveness of the GTM team, and drive growth.
- Define and guide the short-term and long-term data strategy for Retail
- Partner with other functional teams such as Engineering, Product, Design, and GTM to identify unsolved user and business needs. Build data powered solutions that scale.
- Cultivate a data-informed culture and deliver meaningful insights that drive product roadmaps and optimize business strategies
- Drive excellent practices for establishing metrics & KPIs to drive cross-functional alignment
- Lead, mentor, and guide your team of data scientists, helping them develop their analytical and leadership skills
- Collaborate with peer leaders in the Channels Data Science team (and the broader Data org) to improve and drive the group wide Data Science vision
- Experience building and managing high performance data science teams
- Exceptional problem solving and analysis skills combined with the ability to synthesize and effectively communicate findings to both technical and non-technical stakeholders
- An entrepreneurial mindset. You must be comfortable rolling up your sleeves, thriving in ambiguity, and getting the work done
- Extensive experience with Python
- Extensive experience with data pipelines and ETL design
- Experience with statistical methods like regressions, GLMs, experiment design and shipping productionized machine learning systems at scale
- Experience with Tableau, Mode, or similar data visualization tools
Closing date: October 3, 2019 at 5pm EDT
At Shopify, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous people, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities.