Senior UX Researcher, Online Store Editor
At Shopify, we care deeply about making commerce better for everyone. This mission began when our founders started an online business selling snowboards. Existing software was expensive and so hard to use that it made their dream of entrepreneurship feel impossible. So they changed their focus and started developing Shopify to enable anyone with something to sell to easily start, run, and grow their business.
Today, Shopify empowers more than 600,000 merchants from all over the world to succeed at entrepreneurship. Our mission is ambitious and we're always looking for great people to join us.
About the UX Research Team
The UX Research team guides and informs the company towards designing and building better products and experiences for people using a variety of research methods. Researchers work with a multidisciplinary team of developers, product managers, content strategists, designers, and marketers to incorporate people-centric thinking from the beginning of a project to its inevitable iterative improvement. We ask thoughtful research questions, conduct contextual research, frame problems, synthesize insights, evaluate concepts or prototypes, and assist with launches and releases.
We value diversity and learning from one another, so you’ll be joining a team of researchers from various backgrounds (e.g. anthropology, psychology, human-computer interaction, industrial design). You’ll have opportunities to learn, lead, and contribute to meaningful work.
Online Store Team
We’re a multidisciplinary team of designers, researchers, content strategists, developers and data scientists, all working to empower our merchants towards designing online stores that reflect the vision they have for their business. To do so, the Online Store Team develops the themes that merchants can choose from to design their stores, the editor in which they can customize those themes, the space in which they can manage those themes, domains, and information architecture, as well as the storefront features that offer end consumers a seamless online shopping experience. Together, our goal is to redefine what it means to design custom online stores that reflect the varied visions and needs of our 600,000 merchants.
You'll be working on:
- Proactively articulating research questions and priorities with teammates, then creatively using a range of research methods to transform those into insights
- Synthesizing, summarizing and evangelizing findings to impact product, UX, and marketing decisions
- Making sure your insights lead to tangible changes in the products that we ship
- Collaborating closely with designers, developers, product managers, and other disciplines to design, implement, and track new products or experiences
- Sharing knowledge, identifying, and solving wider problems with other UX researchers
- Helping merchants grow their businesses with better marketing tools and selling in more ways (e.g. point of sale, new sales channels)
You'll need to have:
- A proactive and self-starting attitude
- Research experience in a product development or service design context
- Hands-on experience scoping and prioritizing research questions, research planning, data gathering, analysis, summarizing, and sharing findings
- Experience applying a range of research methods with creativity, scrappiness, and critical thinking
- A desire to continually experiment with and develop new methods
- Examples of projects where your research insights led to better informed design decisions (e.g. to guide product roadmaps, strategy decisions)
- Examples of how you influenced teams or companies to become more people-centred
- Empathy for non-technical people performing high-stakes tasks
- A love for asking questions, seeking answers, and working with others to solve difficult design problems
Bonus points if you have:
- Experience doing research on/with multinational businesses
- Familiarity with combining qualitative and quantitative data
- Spoken at conferences or written about research, UX, design, or strategySkills, hobbies, or experience that have given you a unique perspective on UX research
- Experience starting your own business