UX Lead, Payments & Balance
Montreal - Office
As we grow our UX team in Montreal, we’re looking for a user experience leader to help us take on the next set of challenges. Somebody capable of building opinions by defining goals, direction and strategy, but also comfortable getting into the weeds and working directly with their team. At Shopify, leaders sketch too. They thrive on change and operate on trust, leveraging the diverse perspectives of the people on their team in everything they do.
We’re fascinated by how you think, how you break down problems, and how you come up with solutions. We look for those who question, who are never satisfied, and always seek to do better and make better. Those who want to deeply understand why people do things.
As the UX lead for Payments and Balance, you’ll lead your team in making financial information, processes, and situations simple and understandable. You’ll design world class experiences that help entrepreneurs around the world improve their financial stability, and better grow their businesses.
About UX at Shopify:
The UX team at Shopify is obsessed with enabling commerce at a global scale. We create tools that give everyone the chance to succeed as an entrepreneur. We make commerce better for everyone.
Our team is made up of over 400 designers, content strategists, researchers, and front-end developers across 5 offices. The UX team has a special role in building understanding and empathy for merchants. We believe in testing, iteration, and in giving people the room to experiment and grow.
We’re always on the lookout for people who are excited to work on hard problems at a global scale in a friendly, collaborative environment. If this sounds familiar, we’d love to hear from you.
- Establish a user experience vision for your product and help your team achieve it iteratively
- Ship exceptionally high UX quality on your projects
- Develop baseline knowledge in all our UX disciplines (content strategy, research, design, and front-end development) and deep expertise in your product’s problem area (payments and balance)
- Work with the product manager and engineering lead on your projects to balance technical, business, and merchant requirements
- Help your team grow the soft and hard skills they need to ship better product
- Work with other UX leads to build a cohesive product and robust design system
- Anticipate staffing needs on your team and recruit for themIdentify people and technical challenges on your team as they arise and solve them
Skills and Experience:
- You’ve led a team in a multidisciplinary UX environment. Ours includes research, design, front end development, and content strategy.
- You understand that leadership is a craft, and know how to mentor your team members to help them grow and succeed.
- You love solving complex product problems with simple design solutions.
- You like to collaborate with product management and engineering to balance the right decisions for the product with the right decisions for the users.
- You provide teams with long term vision and strategy but don’t mind doing the work yourself when the situation arises.
What you'll get at Shopify:
- A collaborative, creative environment that embraces experimentation and learning
- Autonomy. We don’t believe in micro-management
- A healthy work-life balance with benefits like a gym allowance, parental leave, childcare benefits, flexible work hours, and catered meals
- Learning and growing with the best in the business and getting the support you need to do the best work of your career
- A culture that values authenticity, openness, and diversity
Here's how to apply:
If you’re interested in helping us shape the future of commerce, click the APPLY FOR THIS JOB button to submit your application. Send us a few samples of your work: portfolio, wireframes, UX flows, publications, or whatever represents what you do best.
Experience comes in many forms, many skills are transferable, and passion goes a long way. If your experience is this close to what we’re looking for, consider applying. We know that diversity of thought makes for the best problem-solving and creative thinking, which is why we're dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team and encourage everyone to apply.