Data Engineer - Merchant Support
We’re looking for a Data Engineer to join our Merchant Support Analytics Team. Our team is building the brain behind Shopify’s world-class customer support team. As a data engineer, you work directly with the Merchant Support leadership team, using data to optimize how customer requests get routed and solved in the shortest time possible. We’re pushing the boundaries of how Machine Learning can be applied towards call deflection and segmentation, resulting in substantial savings and happy merchants. You’ll be an integral part of Shopify’s wider Data and Analytics organization. We’ve built out our own petabyte-scale Hadoop cluster to make sure that every Shopifier can access the data they need to make better decisions. But this data isn’t just used to inform internally-facing decisions - we are empowering the 500,000+ merchants on our platform as well. Being a data-informed company includes enabling data-informed merchants, which in turn helps us make commerce better for everyone!
You'll need to have:
- Extensive experience developing and implementing various machine learning and natural language processing libraries (scikit-learn, elasticsearch)
- Strong software development experience (preferably Python) - you are proficient with things like software design patterns, code review, test-driven development etc.
- Strong communication skills, with experience communicating with both customers and across internal stakeholders
It'd be great if you have:
- Experience in customer support centre analytics for large companies
- Experience working with distributed systems such as Spark or Hadoop
- Experience with Tableau, Mode, Chartio or similar data visualization tools
- Background in a quantitative discipline (math, physics, biology, finance, etc.)
If you’re interested in helping us shape the future of commerce, click the “Apply now” button to submit your application. Please let Nicolas know why you’re particularly interested in this role.
Experience comes in many forms, many skills are transferable, and passion goes a long way. If your experience is this close to what we’re looking for, consider applying. We know that diversity of thought makes for the best problem-solving and creative thinking, which is why we're dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team and encourage everyone to apply.