Lead & Senior Lead Developers - Multiple Roles
R&D – Engineering
Shopify is the world’s fastest growing commerce platform, with no plans to slow down.
Working here, you’ll ship on quality instead of on time. Our teams deploy new code many times a day, on a massive production scale. We’re talking hundreds of thousands of online stores, and hundreds of millions of requests a day. With both entrepreneurs and household brands depending on us for their livelihood, it’s a tough, but incredibly rewarding responsibility.
We’re looking for technical leads who are passionate about performance, accessibility, and building for the long-term. You’ll have a real desire for solving tough problems with performant code and you’ll have experience with shaping long-term product vision and owning its implementation.
Here's more information about the teams that are currently looking for lead and senior lead developers.
- Core: It’s what merchants login to set up their store, manage their products, customers, inventory, orders, and make decisions based on reports and recommendations. To make this happen, we’ve invested in test, build and deployment tools to improve both the quality of our software and the experience of creating it.
- Shipping: What is the future of logistics? How can Shopify deliver the best merchant and consumer post point of sale experience on the planet? It’s a critical, but often overlooked, part of the merchant and buyer experience and our dev teams are working hard to build out a best-in-class solution.
- Financial Solutions: Managing money can be one of the most stressful parts of running a business. Shopify creates simple financial solutions that help merchants accept payments and capital, avoid fraud, and pay their bills. We take the worry and confusion out of finances, so entrepreneurs around the world can focus on growing their business.
- International: We have over 800,000 merchants on the Shopify platform at the moment, mostly in North America. This team is tackling the million challenges that come from creating localized versions of our platform, and that means a heck of a lot more then just translations.
- Channels: Shopify Channels was designed to give merchants one unified platform to do it all. The teams in this Product Line helps entrepreneurs grow their businesses by creating experiences that feel empowering and delightful across numerous online and offline channels.
What do you bring to the table?
- Proven leadership skills - primarily from a technical point of view
- A commitment and drive for quality, technical excellence and results
- Experience building large scale, high throughput systems and familiarity with full stack web development
- Ideally, a history of contributing to our community through code, documentation, mentoring, teaching, speaking, or organizing
What will you get to do?
- Learn and grow constantly to feed your passion for self-improvement and make those around you better
- Design and build innovative features that are driven by web scale data
- Collaborate with other Shopify developers and external partners to provide the best shipping experience for merchants and shopping experience for their customers.
- Work through problems with your team, roll up your sleeves, form an opinion and advocate for engineering-specific roadmap items.
- Collaborate with other Shopify leaders, executives and external partners to provide the best commerce experience for our merchants
You'll need to have extensive experience with...
- Building backend web services using a variety of languages and frameworks (Ruby on Rails, Java/JEE, Node.js, PHP, Python)
- Working with relational databases and SQL (we’re mostly on MySQL with some Postgres)
- Building and scaling user-focused web applications using different technologies (React, Angular, Backbone, Bootstrap)
- Development on a leading cloud provider (GCE, AWS, Azure, …)
If you want to know more about us, check out our app platform, our open source tools, and our eng blog.
And here's a preview of the sort of work we do at Shopify:
Evolving Ourselves (Shopify RnD Summit talk, 2018)
(Password for video is: Delaney2019)
All our positions will require relocation to Canada (primarily Ottawa). We offer full immigration and relocation support.
So that’s it! If you’ve read this far, hopefully that means you're interested. Please get in touch. We’d love to hear from you.
At Shopify, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous people, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities.