Development Manager - Multiple Roles
R&D – Engineering /
At Shopify, we build products that help entrepreneurs around the world to start and grow their businesses. We’re the world’s fastest growing commerce platform and we have no plans of slowing down!
Development Managers at Shopify help our development team members realize their true potential. As one of them, you will leverage your established technical know-how and commitment to individual growth to build high performance teams that will be successful in delivering world-class products. You will set and hold high standards on your teams and create conditions for each individual to be successful with short term and long term goals. You will strengthen relationships across the entire company and leverage these relationships as needed to unblock teams and deliver amazing products to users.
These teams are currently seeking Development Managers:
- Home: The Home team works on the home section in the Shopify Admin, which is currently one of the most visited section by our merchants. Our goal is to build a communication platform that helps merchants understand their business, identify new opportunities for growth, and inspire them to succeed. As a development manager you will lead a team of developers that will build this platform, while collaborating with other teams that will leverage the platform and contribute content to this critical surface area for our merchants.
- Commerce Essentials: The Commerce Essentials team focuses on delivering the software to help ensure applications can sustain the loads inherent in commerce. They deliver the core semantic elements of commerce building blocks for internal as well as external developers and focus on scalability, performance and the extensibility of those elements.
- Order and Fulfillment: The Order and Fulfillment team is focused on eliminating the effort merchants spend managing their orders, so they can get time back and focus on growing their business. They also work hard to ensure that merchants get all their orders “out the door” faster, correctly, and on time.
What will you be doing:
- Build high quality, globally available, fault tolerant systems and products
- Work on problems with your team, roll up your sleeves, form an opinion and advocate for engineering-specific roadmap items
- Work with product, UX and other disciplines to discover the best solutions for our merchants
- Be a technical influencer across the company. Provide technical direction through technical design reviews, GitHub pull requests, and pair programming
- Grow the team both through internal development and helping with external hiring
To be successful in this role you will need:
- Proven technical leadership skills using technologies and frameworks including (but not limited to) Ruby on Rails, Java/JEE, NodeJS, PHP, Python
- Proven senior leadership skills
- Experience building and successfully growing development teams
- A commitment and drive for quality, technical excellence and results
- Experience designing and developing APIs, and ideally developing your own app(s) on platforms like Shopify
We know that applying to a new role takes a lot of work and we truly value your time. We’re looking forward to reading your application!
At Shopify, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities.