Software Engineer - Data
R&D – Data Science & Engineering
Software Engineers in our Data Runtime team are supporting Shopify in making better decisions. We deploy and maintain a variety of scalable technologies for extracting and transforming a multitude of different sources of data and spend time working along with both our Data Science and Data Infrastructure teams. All in all, we are in charge of building the right tools for our Data team to work with and to manage our data warehouse.
This is an amazing place to learn : we operate at virtually all levels of the stack, we design tools and frameworks and work closely with their users. We are constantly trying to master new patterns, technologies and processes to make data as useful as it can be at Shopify.
Required experience for the role :
- Previous software development experience - you have experience with things like software design patterns, code review, testing, etc.
- Database experience - you are have some knowledge of SQL query authoring and table design patterns for OLAP and OLTP
- Data warehousing experience would be beneficial - ideally, experience with dimensional modelling, metadata management, data cleaning and conforming, and warehouse query patterns
- Team work experience - you'll need to be someone who enjoys working together with other developers and discussing solutions to problems
Other relevant experience for the role :
- Knowledge of a major cloud provider (AWS, Azure, Google Cloud)
- Experience with Python and/or Scala
- Business Intelligence skills : defining metrics, conforming different definitions, and experimentation methodology