Director of Data Science- Marketing
New York, United States
Data Science & Engineering
At Shopify, we recognize that after our people, our data is our most important asset. Over 10+ years of aggregate commerce data is a trove of potential insights. Our 600,000+ merchants process over $72 billion in gross merchant volume through our platform, and depend on us to deliver insights that enable them to grow their businesses. The next phase of our data strategy will involve extreme growth in terms of scale and application, with the goal of making better business, product, and marketing decisions.
This new Director role will work alongside Shopify’s CMO to define and evolve the application of Data Science towards our marketing efforts. You'll lead an existing team of Data Scientists, and partner with Shopify Marketing in their efforts to attract successful entrepreneurs to the platform while helping our current merchant base to successfully grow and succeed. You will use your experience in large-scale digital analytics, along with your ability to work with information from multiple sources, to identify trends and strategic opportunities. You have experience working with media spend, scoring customers for CRM treatments, attribute sales and merchants to media and so on. Your efforts will contribute in a tangible way to making commerce better for everyone.
Some of the Data Science & Engineering leadership team members you’ll work with:
Shopify Marketing leadership team members you’ll work closely with:
- Well-balanced Skills. People have trouble pinning down your area of expertise - both business and technical teams claim you as their own. You are equal parts technical and functional (and both are exceptionally strong), and are comfortable and effective presenting to technical or business leaders alike.
- Marketing Analytics and Technology Skills. You should (ideally) know how to optimize media spend, score customers for CRM treatments, build attribution models for digital and non-digital media.
- Analytics Expert. You have a deep knowledge of analytical platform design and application of analytical techniques to business problems. You can discuss current trends and techniques used by other companies in this space to drive their business-development efforts.
- Strong Leadership. Demonstrated experience building and managing a high-performing team, developing talent and building capacity. You are a self-confident leader that seeks and promotes high-impact team members.
- Experience with recruiting and developing high-performing analytics teams. You've built and pruned large teams from the ground up. One of your most important jobs is recruiting and developing a team that others aspire to be.
- Thought leadership. You are deeply familiar with the evolution of big data technologies and data science in general, and have a point of view on what makes them better/worse in various situations. You are well-connected in the industry, have likely spoken at conferences and can leverage your network for guidance and recruiting.
- Technical leadership. Our data science teams are completely full-stack in their technical competencies. Your background will facilitate your ability to lead them as they analyze data, implement statistical techniques, create data visualisations, and build data pipelines (using Python, Spark, SQL, Mode, Tableau...etc).
It'd be great if you had experience:
- With some combination of Python, SQL, R, Matlab, or Spark
- Supporting marketing teams in the past
- With survival analysis, LTV models, GLMs, or customer-acquisition models
- With Tableau, QlikView, Mode, Matplotlib, or similar data visualization tools
If you’re interested in helping us shape the future of commerce at Shopify, click the “Apply For This Job” button to submit your application. Be sure to address your cover letter to Solmaz in the additional info section and tell her why you think you'd be great for the role.
Posting expires on November 23, 2018