Software Developer Lead - International Growth
Ottawa, Montreal, Toronto, Waterloo
At Shopify, we want to make commerce better for everyone, everywhere. Countries differ in many ways in terms of language, culture, and how people engage with commerce. We want to embrace these differences and make sure Shopify is the right platform for all merchants. Having the world as a target is ambitious but we believe in our ability to succeed. We will be methodic, strategic, and opportunistic. Our small team has already experimented with different approaches in India and Japan, and we’re now ready to apply those learnings to more international markets.
Our focus towards markets we haven't explored will have important repercussions on how we, developers, build things, but also how we think about new features and projects. Part of your responsibilities will be to make sure we do this in a sane, sustainable, reusable way.
Where we’re going:
We will be building for countries across many continents in the upcoming months. Our goal is to increase the number of merchants in these areas by making sure Shopify is the best platform, globally.
How you’ll have an impact:
- You will lead, mentor and coach our developers to level them up in their craft
- You will be able to identify opportunities and expand our product offering in all markets
- You will be dedicated to building things for the long term, in ways that benefit as many merchants as possible
- You will be engaging Shopify and external partners to ensure all new features are built with our international markets in mind
- Our focus towards markets we haven't explored will have important repercussions on how we, developers, build things, but also how we think about new features and projects. Part of your responsibilities will be to make sure we do this in a sane, sustainable, reusable way
What we’re looking for:
- A leader who has experience leading technical teams, keeping them focused and on task while actively having their hands in programming
- We are looking for people with genuine interests in foreign needs and cultures; your contributions could take different forms depending on the identified markets
- Because of the nature of our work, we’re looking for generalists more than specialists, people who aren’t afraid to play with anything that could stand in the way of success
Who you’ll be working with:
- You’ll be working with a diverse team of engineers, country managers, and business partners that all have the same interests at heart
- You will have the chance to work in one of the biggest Ruby on Rails code base out there as well as building new scalable services from scratch
The tools you will use include:
We know that applying to a new role takes a lot of work and we truly value your time. Sanja is looking forward to reading your application!
Experience comes in many forms, many skills are transferable, and passion goes a long way. If your experience is this close to what we’re looking for, consider applying. We know that diversity of thought makes for the best problem-solving and creative thinking, which is why we're dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team and encourage everyone to apply.