Director of SEO
GTM – Marketing & Communications /
Shopify has redefined commerce, raising the standard for how companies of all sizes sell their products and services online and off. With 1,000,000+ merchants in more than 175 different countries and the most innovative platform on the market, we continue to grow rapidly while constantly looking for new ways to impact and disrupt markets.
In this time of Covid-19, Shopify is still growing and still hiring. We're open for business, and we're fighting hard to keep hundreds of thousands of other businesses open as well. If that sounds like something you could get behind, keep reading.
Shopify currently powers more than 1 Million merchants worldwide, with thousands of new businesses signing up each month. Few tech companies have grown as quickly as Shopify has and SEO has been one of the main drivers of this growth. Your goal? Be the SEO craft owner at Shopify and help us accelerate this growth across multiple mediums and markets.
As Director of SEO, you will be committed to building a roadmap, strategy, and goals for your team, then providing mentorship and leadership to your team as they execute on your vision for growth. You will dive deep into the work alongside your team to analyze, test different SEO theories, develop growth strategies, and run SEO initiatives that drive customer acquisition to Shopify.
You'll be working on:
- Be accountable for driving, optimizing Shopify’s global SEO strategy, and oversee its proper execution
- Lead, coach, and mentor the SEO team, ensuring they have a vision and clear objectives
- Serve as the primary SEO evangelist throughout the organization and work cross-functionally to establish alignment and buy-in on the SEO strategy
- Build a unified SEO team to deliver best in class experiences and hit key SEO traffic goals
- Drive aggressive SEO goals and set expectations on execution
- Regularly jump in and perform detailed keywords research allowing team members to shadow when necessary
- Provide guidance on our SEO product & tooling roadmap
- Review technical SEO issues and provide recommendations on fixes
- Collaborate across various teams, e.g. content, design, social, and R&D
- Monitor key SEO KPIs, measure against your goals, and present data on successes, shortcomings, and ways forward to senior leadership
- Keep up to date on new and trending SEO and digital marketing methodologies
- Be a source of knowledge for all things SEO, proactively sharing ideas and recommendations to the rest of the business
- Extensive SEO experience and leadership in a fast-paced company and leading high trafficked website(s)
- Experience leading a team of SEOs
- A toolbox of SEO techniques, tools, digital channels, and proactively keeping up-to-date with the latest innovations
- The ability to jump into the day to day with the team to solve complex problems, perform keyword research, and test the *bleep* out of your methods in order to repeat successes
- Highly analytical mindset with numerical aptitude
- Deep expertise in testing methods and advanced knowledge of analytical software
- Highly collaborative with excellent stakeholder management skills, capable of building and powering your “trust battery” with the team and fellow leaders
- The ability to coach, mentor, attract & retain talent, and can empower and provide direction to the team
At Shopify, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities.