Lead Software Developer - Shipping Services
Shopify is the world’s fastest growing commerce platform, with no plans to slow down.
In 2019, we’re massively scaling what shipping and fulfillment means to the hundreds of thousands of entrepreneurs and businesses that use Shopify and we need experienced people and technical development leads to make that happen. This is a role where you can think big! What is the future of logistics? How can Shopify deliver the best merchant and consumer post point of sale experience on the planet?
Working here, you’ll ship on quality instead of on time. Your teams will be deploying new code many times a day, on a massive production scale. We’re talking hundreds of thousands of online stores, and hundreds of millions of requests a day. With entrepreneurs depending on you for their livelihood, it’s a tough, but incredibly rewarding responsibility.
We’re looking for technical and people leads who are passionate about performance, accessibility, and building for the long-term. You’ll have a real desire for solving tough problems with performant code. You’ll have experience with shaping long-term product vision and owning its implementation. Over and above all that, perhaps your biggest achievements to date will have come from making everyone around you better as you've grown and developed your team.
What do you bring to the table?
- Proven leadership skills - from either a technical or people growth point of view
- A commitment and drive for quality, technical excellence and results
- A passion for growing development teams and improving others
- Experience building large scale, high throughput systems and familiarity with full stack web development
- An ability to grow the team from a hiring perspective, identifying the gaps and helping to fill them
What will you get to do?
- Learn and grow constantly to feed your passion for self-improvement and make those around you better
- Design and build innovative features that are driven by web scale data
- Collaborate with other Shopify developers and external partners to provide the best shipping experience for merchants
- Work through problems with your team, roll up your sleeves, form an opinion and advocate for engineering-specific roadmap items.
- Collaborate with other Shopify leaders, executives and external partners to provide the best commerce experience for our merchants
You’ll need to have extensive experience with:
- Building backend web services using several languages and frameworks (Ruby on Rails, Java/JEE, Node.js, PHP, Python, …)
- Working with relational databases and SQL (we’re mostly on MySQL with some Postgres)
- Working with Rails or the desire to learn it quickly
- Building and scaling user-focused web applications and/or mobile applications using different technologies (React, Angular, Backbone, Bootstrap, Swift, Android, …)
It’d be amazing if you;
- Have a history of contributing to our community through code, documentation, mentoring, teaching, speaking, or organizing
- Have shipping, fulfillment or warehousing experience
- Have experience with development on a leading cloud provider (GCE, AWS, Azure, …)
If you’re interested in helping us shape the future of shipping at Shopify, click the “Apply Now” button to submit your application.
If your CV speaks for itself, that’s fine, but we’re always interested in knowing more - so feel feel to include a cover letter addressed to Chris.