Product Content Strategy Manager, Platform
R&D – UX - Content Strategy
Shopify is redefining commerce and raising the standard for how companies of all sizes sell their products. On this mission, we partner with thousands of agencies and freelancers who build apps, customize stores, and provide help to 800,000+ of our merchants.
As a platform UX team, we work on products that empower our partners to push the boundaries of commerce. Informed by research and data, we solve complex problems and build iteratively toward our vision. We quickly prototype solutions and ship high-fidelity designs of new features. We own our projects from start to finish and collaborate with a multidisciplinary team of developers, product managers, designers, user researchers, and marketers to deliver the best possible experience for both our partners and merchants.
We’re looking for a content strategy manager to drive complex, cross-functional projects and continue to develop the content practice of the platform team. In this pivotal role, you’ll manage a team of content strategists and further develop strong content habits across the organization, while also contributing directly to product strategy and user experience deliverables.
For this role, you will:
- Define objectives and success criteria for content; use qualitative and quantitative research to make informed product decisions.
- Help to define the voice and tone of platform products; become a subject matter expert and ensure a cohesive product narrative.
- Write clear, concise content that makes our product interfaces easier to use.
- Plan navigational approaches, think through language from a system-perspective, and define information architectures across complex products.
- Collaborate with designers, developers, researchers, product managers, and technical writers to create products that help partners improve their offerings and our merchants’ businesses; collaborate with marketers and the documentation team to launch and promote these products.
- Brainstorm, plan, and contribute to building new features, and continuously improve what we have today.
- Provide support and mentorship, championing the work of other content strategists on the team.
- Contribute to Shopify’s content discipline as a whole; establish best practices and principles, while helping to evolve the content standards of polaris.shopify.com.
- Empower everyone who works at Shopify to write their own great content by contributing to training, learning resources, and other support opportunities.
You should have:
- A significant amount of dedicated content strategy experience, including user-focused work in a product environment.
- Experience creating content for developers or technical audiences.
- Experience working with and influencing multi-disciplinary teams including UX designers, researchers, engineers, and product managers.
- A foundational understanding of user-centered design; structuring language that responds to audience needs and working with research to validate decisions.
- Versatility in problem-solving with the ability to contribute to the high-level strategy while also being hands-on in the design process.
- A portfolio of work you’ve done, including examples of interface content and microcopy.
- Created, implemented, and maintained content standards across an organization.
- Experience leading people or projects, and establishing review processes or quality benchmarks.
What’s in it for you:
- A collaborative, creative environment where we value experimentation and learning.
- Autonomy. We don’t believe in micro-management.
- A healthy work-life balance with benefits such as a gym/lifestyle allowance, parental leave, childcare benefits, flexible work hours, and catered meals to give you more time for the things you care about most.
- Being part of a UX team that’s tackling design challenges on a global scale—we’re genuinely committed to making commerce better for everyone, no matter where they’re located or their experience level.
- Learning and growing with the best in the business and getting the support you need to do the best work of your career.
- A culture that values authenticity, openness, and diversity.
At Shopify, we care deeply about making commerce better for everyone.
This mission began when our founders started an online business selling snowboards. Existing software was expensive and so hard to use that it made their dream of entrepreneurship feel impossible. So they changed their focus and started developing Shopify to help anyone with something to sell easily start, run, and grow their business.
Today, Shopify empowers more than 800,000 merchants from all over the world to succeed at entrepreneurship. Our mission is ambitious and we’re always looking for great people to join us.
How to apply
1) Prepare a few samples of your previous work. If you really want to stand out, sign up for a free trial of Shopify and build a store. Share the link with us so we can take a look.
2) Write a cover letter that tells us a bit about yourself and why you’re interested in working at Shopify. Please address it to Gene Shannon.
3) Upload your resume, cover letter, and work samples. If you have an online portfolio, feel free to link to it.