UX Research Lead, Logistics
Making commerce better for everyone has been Shopify’s focus since our founders started a snowboard business online. Realizing that selling online was complex and very technical, they set out to simplify the experience. Since then, Shopify has been improving the way that people start, run, and grow businesses. The work you do will impact more than 500,000 entrepreneurs all over the world, their community of customers, and many 3rd party partners.
About the UX Research team
The UX Research team guides and informs the company towards designing and building better products and experiences for people using a variety of research methods. Researchers work with teams to incorporate people-centric thinking from problem definition to post-launch iteration. We ask thoughtful research questions, conduct contextual research, frame problems, synthesize insights, evaluate concepts or prototypes, and assist with launches and releases.
In addition to informing product, UX, and marketing decisions throughout projects, we also work on broader internal initiatives to cultivate empathy throughout Shopify (e.g. accessibility demos, employee field trips to Shopify stores, merchant Q&A panels).
You'll be working on:
- Coaching and growing individual researchers on the team
- Working with the team to evolve the UX Research practice at Shopify
- Identifying ways to better the UX Research team’s impact
- Aligning the team on our shared purpose and goals, and support execution
- Collaborating closely with various leads (UX Research, Product, Design, Culture, Data, etc.) to make better decisions around culture, collaboration, tools, and product roadmaps
- Initially, the role will involve hands-on research to gain project and cultural context, then shift to leading and managing researchers, as well as evolving our UX Research practice.
You'll need to have:
- Experience leading, managing, and coaching a diverse team of researchers (with specific examples of how you’ve grown and developed direct reports)
- Research experience in a product development or service design context
- Hands-on experience scoping and prioritizing research questions, research planning, data gathering, analysis, summarizing, and sharing findings
- Examples of projects where your research insights led to better informed design decisions (e.g. to guide product roadmaps, strategy decisions)
- Experience applying a range of research methods
- Familiarity with combining qualitative and quantitative data
- Examples of how you influenced teams or companies to become more people-centred
- Proven ability to build relationships between disciplines and cultivate collaboration
It's a bonus if you have:
- Spoken at conferences or written about research, UX, design, or strategy
- Experience starting your own business
- Skills, hobbies, or experience that have given you a unique perspective on UX research
We know that applying to a new role takes a lot of work and we truly value your time. We are looking forward to reading your application.