Senior Software Developer - International Growth
Ottawa, Montreal, Toronto, Waterloo
At Shopify, we want to make commerce better for everyone, everywhere. Countries differ in many ways in term of language, culture, and how people engage with commerce. We want to embrace these differences and make sure Shopify is the right platform for all merchants. Having the world as a target is ambitious but we believe in our ability to succeed. We will be methodic, strategic, and opportunistic. Our small team has already experimented with different approaches in India and Japan, and we’re now ready to apply those learnings to more international markets.
Our focus towards markets we haven't explored will have important repercussions on how we, developers, build things, but also how we think about new features and projects. As a member of this team, your responsibilities will be to make sure we do this in a sane, sustainable, reusable way.
Where we’re going:
We will be building for countries across many continents in the upcoming months. Our goal is to increase the number of merchants in these areas by making sure Shopify is the best platform, globally.
How you’ll have an impact:
- You’ll expand our current product offering to new markets by building, tweaking, fixing various features
- Build integrations and workflows to help the company ship all new products with international markets in mind
- You will build things for the long term, in ways that benefit as many merchants as possible
What we’re looking for:
- We are looking for people with genuine interests in foreign needs and cultures; your contributions could take different forms depending on the identified markets
- Because of the nature of our work, we’re looking for generalists more than specialists, people who aren’t afraid to play with anything that could stand in the way of success
Who you’ll be working with:
- You’ll be working with a diverse team of engineers, country managers, and business partners that all have the same interests at heart
- You will have the chance to work in one of the biggest Ruby on Rails code base out there as well as building new scalable services from scratch
The tools you will use include: