Data Modelling Engineer
At Shopify, we recognize that after our people, our most important asset is our data. With billions of annual customer visits and 10 years of aggregate ecommerce data, we are driven by the potential insights that our data can provide. Our 500,000+ merchants process over $15.4 billion in gross merchant volume (annually) through our platform, and depend on us to deliver insights that enable them to grow their business.
Shopify's platform generates vast swaths of information. Used properly, this information can benefit both our merchants and our company. That's why we are building a series of high-quality data sets to support these decision makers. To do this, we're looking to add an experienced data modeller to our data platform engineering team.
You'll need to have:
- Extensive software development experience - you are proficient with things like software design patterns, code review, test-driven development etc.
- Data modelling experience - you've demonstrated the ability to build real-world data sets from scratch and refactor existing ones
- Data warehouse experience - you are proficient in data warehousing concepts including facts, dimensions, and star schemas, and have a familiarity with the "extract, transform, load" process.
- Database experience - you have a familiarity with SQL query authoring, table design, database indexing, etc.
- Team work experience - you'll need to be comfortable working within and across teams, discussing solutions to problems, and supporting others in their goals.
It'd be great if you have experience with:
- Ruby on Rails
- Business Intelligence: defining metrics, understanding how data is used in reports
You'll be working on things like:
- Understanding the reporting needs of the consumer of the data
- Working with core engineering teams as data sets are refactored, or built from scratch
- Implementing ETLs in our data pipeline (Python, Spark)
- Maintaining an end-to-end view of the data and how it is being used, to ensure we build the right thing
Here's how to apply:
If you’re interested in helping us shape the future of Shopify, click the “Apply now” button to submit your application. Please address your cover letter to Alan Gordon.
Experience comes in many forms, many skills are transferable, and passion goes a long way. If your experience is this close to what we’re looking for, consider applying. We know that diversity of thought makes for the best problem-solving and creative thinking, which is why we're dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team and encourage everyone to apply.