Employee Relations Specialist, EMEA
Ireland Remote /
G&A – HR & Culture /
Shopify is now permanently remote and working towards a future that is digital by default.Learn more about what this can mean for you.
At Shopify, we’re merchant and buyer obsessed. Truly. Our merchants are the reason we do what we do everyday, and their experience with our platform, as well as the experience of our Partners and Buyers, is of the utmost importance.
The purpose of our Employee Relations (ER) team is to ensure fair and respectful engagement with our employees in all aspects of the employee experience at Shopify, consistent with our mission, values and rules of engagement. The team’s work is at the intersection of a high performance environment and a culture with high importance placed on engagement, diversity and belonging. In this role you will work to ensure the highest level of trust and integrity between Shopify and its employees in addressing ER concerns, so that our people can focus on helping our merchants, Partners and Buyers to succeed.
The role will have a significant focus on Ireland but will include work in other jurisdictions in EMEA including France, Germany, Italy, Spain and the UK. The successful individual will thrive in high intensity environments, solving complex problems and making use of excellent influence and communication skills. This work will include ER issues that are crisis-oriented and time-sensitive. Balancing priorities between projects and crisis-response will be a critical component for success.
- Support the build of the ER function with relevant processes and tools, including intake, management and reporting systems
- Oversee people practices in relation to ER at Shopify in compliance with local regulation
- Manage ER cases that occur such as Investigations, Grievances and appeal processes
- Support Shopify Leadership in the EMEA region to up-skill and maintain a high standard of fair and consistent employee practices
- Independently manage assigned casework, bringing investigations to closure in a thorough and timely manner
- Provide guidance to leaders on how to create an environment that balances the rigour of a high-performing environment with a human, compassionate approach to employee issues
- Help design and implement policies to create consistent and efficient Talent processes related to ER, while maintaining scope for leaders to exercise judgement
- Support resolution of concerns raised by employees, leaders, Talent (HR) colleagues or other stakeholders about employee or leadership conduct, with proposals on how to address
- Conduct formal investigations related to the Code of Conduct and the legal and regulatory frameworks in which Shopify operates
- Ensure requisite documentation for both informal inquiries and formal investigations and to input into reporting on ER topics for Talent Leadership and Shopify’s Executive team
- Partner with Shopify’s Talent Business Partners, Legal, Employee Experience, Diversity and Belonging, Coaching, and Learning teams to inform leadership training and curricula development
- Maintain knowledge of the evolving legal and regulatory environment and relevant legislation relating to ER work in key EMEA countries
- Senior experience working as an ER Specialist or HR Business Partner with hands-on experience of the Employee Relations field, including investigative fieldwork
- Demonstrated passion for employee relations, labor relations, investigations, or labor/employment law
- Ability to build high trust and impactful relationships with employees and leaders
- Excellent problem solving capabilities and ability to thrive in an ambiguous environment
- Strong business acumen and the ability to apply it to ER issues
- A mindset of continuous improvement, including coaching leaders and Talent colleagues on how to improve our approach to Employee Relations
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills, with the ability to synthesize and communicate outcomes of sensitive topics to employees as well as Executive Leaders
- Passion to collaborate with others to get to optimal outcomes on complex topics
- Ability to thrive in a fully remote working environment
- Excellent facilitation skills with hands-on experience in facilitation or mediation in the workplace
- Knowledge of relevant Irish employment regulation e.g. Employment Equality Act 1998 to 2011, Payment of Wages Act 1991, Maternity Protection Act 1994 to 2004, Safety, Health and Welfare at work Act 2005 (note - list not exhaustive)
- Hands-on experience vis-a-vis the Irish Workplace Relations Commission and Labour Court system in Ireland
Preferred Qualification or Experience:
- EMEA / Irish qualifications in Employment Law and related disciplines
- Knowledge and hands-on working experience of ER and employment in other EU jurisdictions
- Previous experience working in a full 100% remote/work from home environment
- Working fluency in French, German, Italian or Spanish preferred
We know that applying to a new role takes a lot of work and we truly value your time. Vaida is looking forward to reading your application. Make sure to tell us why you think this is the right role for you!
This posting will close on October 31 at 4 pm CET.
You can expect to hear back from us (regardless of outcome) within 2 weeks from when you applied.
At Shopify, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities.
Interested, but not ready to apply?
Join the Shopify Talent Community for external candidates to learn more about Shopify by clicking here.