Legal Counsel - Shopify Plus (Based in Toronto)
Legal & Finance
Shopify continues to grow, and we are looking for an approachable, business-minded lawyer to join the Shopify Plus legal team as Legal Counsel for Shopify Plus.
In this role you will support the Shopify Plus team on a range of matters, with a particular focus on sales. In addition, you will regularly collaborate with members of Shopify’s legal team and other internal stakeholders, communicating legal risk and helping to guide business strategy.
The ideal candidate thrives on change, embraces challenge, is passionate about delivering exceptional legal work, and will be committed to helping grow Shopify Plus.
You’ll need to have:
- A J.D. or LL.B. with stellar academic credentials
- A license to practice law in Ontario
- Several years of relevant legal experience at both a top-tier law firm and in-house
- Substantial experience drafting and negotiating complex legal agreements
- Experience supporting a large sales organization in negotiating contracts
- Experience negotiating contracts for the procurement of goods and services
- Managing multiple priorities, stakeholders and deadlines
- The ability to thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic, and entrepreneurial environment
- Exceptional business judgement, relationship-building skills and creativity
- Strong written and interpersonal communication skills
- A kickass sense of humour
It’d be great if you have experience with any of the following:
- SaaS, PaaS, IaaS and other technology-related offerings
- Experience supporting a sales organization involved in regulated industries
What your day to day will look like:
- Drafting and negotiating service contracts with Shopify Plus’ enterprise customers, including some of the world’s largest brands
- Drafting and negotiating commercial agreements, including software and technology licenses
- Working as a member of cross-functional teams on a wide range of matters affecting every aspect of Shopify Plus’ business, including privacy, data protection, regulated products, marketing and advertising, and sales operations, among others
- Delivering pragmatic and business-focused counsel on tight timelines
Here’s how to apply:
If you’re interested in helping Shopify Plus shape the future of commerce, click the “Apply now” button to submit your application. Please address your cover letter to Tanya Weston.
Experience comes in many forms, many skills are transferable, and passion goes a long way. If your background is this close to what we’re looking for, please consider applying, even if you aren’t able to check every box above.
We are dedicated to diversity and providing an inclusive workplace for all, and we especially encourage members of underrepresented groups to apply.
Please note that this posting will close on November 12, 2018.
Learn more about Shopify Plus here.