Lead Software Developer, International Growth
R&D – Engineering
At Shopify, we want to make commerce better for everyone, everywhere. Countries differ in many ways in terms of language, culture, and how people engage with commerce. We want to embrace these differences and make Shopify the right platform for all merchants, no matter where they are on the planet.
Shopify is a Canadian company focussed on reducing the barriers of entry to entrepreneurship and scaling success by offering commerce solutions to small and medium-sized enterprises, as well as major brands like Budweiser, Nestle, Tesla and Kylie Cosmetics. In 2018 the International Growth team launched its mission to support export-oriented merchants in APAC by experimenting with different approaches in Singapore, India, and Japan. We are ready to iterate and build upon these learnings, as we create the best platform for entrepreneurs within this region, and worldwide.
Our Singaporean office will focus on export-oriented merchants within APAC, and related functionalities and features. As the Lead Software Developer, your role will be to build and guide a team of developers, identify market opportunities, and consider important repercussions on how the International software engineering team builds and implements new projects and features. Part of your responsibilities will be to make sure we do this in a collaborative, efficient and sustainable way.
Where we’re going:
We are building for entrepreneurs in countries across many continents in the upcoming months. Our goal is to increase the number of successful merchants in these areas by ensuring Shopify is the best platform, globally.
Requirements for the role:
- Experience leading and guiding technical teams, keeping them focused and on task, while also collaborating and actively engaged in programming
- A genuine interest in APAC, emerging markets, cultural nuances and/or product localization.
- A generalist rather than a specialist - you're excited by experimentation and unblocking anything that stands in the way of success
- A passion for efficiency and collaboration
- Familiarity with Ruby on Rails, or the desire to learn quickly
Projects you could work on:
- Local payment integrations, such as PayTM and Cash on Delivery
- Translation platform, an in-house set of tools to help developers request and manage translations in a transparent, non-intrusive way
- Compliance with international laws, such as GDPR and ePrivacy Regulation
- Leading, mentoring and coaching our developers to level them up in their craft
- Identifying opportunities and expand our product offerings in key markets
- Engaging with teams across Shopify and external partners to ensure all new features are built with our international markets in mind
- Focusing on building for the long term, in ways that benefit as many merchants as possible
- Giving back to the community by open-sourcing some key components
The tools you will use include:
- MySQL, Splunk, Datadog, Mode
We know that applying to a new role takes a lot of work and we truly value your time. Jennifer is looking forward to reading your application.