UX Director, Start
At Shopify, we build products that help entrepreneurs around the world to start and grow their businesses. We’re the world’s fastest growing commerce platform and we have no plans of slowing down. To continue to grow at an incredible rate, we need a strong UX leader to bring our Start product line to the next level.
We believe that online retail is one of the most defining avenues for entrepreneurs to reach independence, but almost everything about the internet favours already-large existing companies. Every day thousands of new hopeful entrepreneurs sign up for Shopify without much or any business experience. The Start product line exists to supercharge aspiring entrepreneurs' abilities to become successful with the best guidance, network, and motivation possible. We'll help our existing 800,000 global merchants and also support new ones as we rapidly grow.
Entrepreneurship is a hard but rewarding experience. We want to create more entrepreneurs and make it easier than ever to start a business. Come join us to do your life's best work!
As Director of UX on the Start product line, you have a special role in building empathy for aspiring entrepreneurs around the world. You are responsible for user experience quality and are the owner of a multidisciplinary UX team of product designers, content strategists, user researchers, and developers. You work together with Product and Engineering to deliver the best products to help aspiring entrepreneurs to succeed in the world. We believe in research, testing, iteration, and in giving people the room to experiment and grow.
What you'll be doing
- Growing and championing a high-functioning, efficient and quality-driven UX team.
- Scaling the UX team sustainably with the right amount of new people, better processes, and diverse thinking.
- Working closely with key stakeholders across Product and Engineering to define our product vision and roadmap.
- Owning the UX direction for new Start mandates; continually pushing boundaries to solve large merchant problems.
- Evolving the look and feel of Shopify products and setting the course for our merchant’s journey and product roadmap.
- Balancing ‘getting shit done’ with ‘getting shit done right’.
- Building relationships with UX leadership across Shopify.
- Be the partner, advocate, and challenger at the leadership table to best support the needs of the aspiring entrepreneurs.
What you'll bring
- You have experience levelling up teams and products beyond their original scope.
- Your teams have shipped simple, beautifully designed product to solve complex customer needs, and have business results to show.
- You have the capacity to act on immediate needs while building for the long term with vision and strategy.
- You have a track record of relying on sound data and research to make decisions.
- You are comfortable balancing out team mentoring, hands-on UX work, and providing input for product decisions.
- You have played a direct role in UX community building and thought leadership both inside your organization and beyond.
- You have experience in at least one of the following product areas: E-commerce or website building, SMB or entrepreneurship, Education, or Community
If you’re interested in helping Shopify shape the future of commerce, click the “Apply now” button to submit your application. Please address your cover letter to Marit.