Senior Data Scientist - multiple roles
R&D – Data Science & Engineering /
Shopify enables entrepreneurs to better design, set up and manage their online stores. At its core, Shopify is a "retail operating system" that not only facilitates online shopping, but also enables cross-selling on social media platforms. With over 1 Million merchants on the Shopify platform — if combined into one "big bucket" — Shopify is the third largest e-commerce retailer in the U.S. Shopify platform delivers features that allow merchants to compete against the biggest retailers and brands on the planet.
The Data Science & Engineering team acts as the impact multiplier for Shopify’s product teams, putting over 11 petabytes of retail data to work to make our merchants more successful. From delivering merchandising insights, to optimizing shipping and processing rates, to reducing credit card fraud, to ad campaign recommendations - our Data Scientists deliver solutions from pipeline to platform. But what does “impact” really mean? For us it means solving merchant problems at scale. For example, most small businesses need additional funds at some point to grow their business. By algorithmically -predicting merchants’ growth potential, Shopify has facilitated over $500 million in capital loans to small business owners That’s one of many different product-lines looking for Senior Data Scientists to partner with and help drive value for our merchants.
We are hiring for multiple teams and we try and ensure to match experience with roles and teams throughout the interview process.
You will need to have:
- Understanding of dimensional modelling concepts and database design/architecture or experience with feature engineering both at model build and in production
- Experience with statistical methods like regression, GLMs, clustering, experiment design, including sampling and multi-armed bandit approaches, shipping productionized machine learning systems at scale and other predictor or classifier models
- Extensive experience using Python including a strong grasp of object oriented programming (OOP) fundamentals
- Extensive experience analyzing data using SQL
- Exposure to Tableau, QlikView, Mode, Matplotlib, Jupyter, or similar data visualization tools
It’d be great if you had:
- Previous experience using Spark
- Experience with statistical methods like regression, GLMs or experiment design and analysis
- Exposure to Tableau, QlikView, Mode, Matplotlib, or similar data visualization tools
Apply if you:
- Have experience with "full stack" (ETL-> Production/iteration) and experience apply data insights in industry
- Are willing to get fully immersed in all aspects of a product
- Are comfortable with ETL, business intelligence, stats and machine learning techniques
- Have expertise in knowing which method is appropriate for a situation and what type of data is required
- Thrive on picking up new skills in ever growing field
- Are a great data story teller to help with decision making
If you’re interested in helping Shopify shape the future of commerce, click the “Apply now” button to submit your application. Please address your cover letter to Dustin.
Closing Date: May 22 at 9AM EDT
At Shopify, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous people, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities.