Senior Software Developer - Online Store Editor
Shopify is the longest continuously developed Rails app on the planet. Many core Rails features were actually developed at Shopify, and we’re constantly improving our codebase to make it better and leaner. We’re looking for back-end developers with a passion for solving tough problems with performant code. If you’re interested in helping us build the future of Shopify, this job is for you. We ship on quality instead of on time. Our teams deploy new code many times a day, and our production scale is massive. We host hundreds of thousands of online stores, and see hundreds of millions of requests a day. Thousands of merchants will see your work within seconds – a hard but incredibly rewarding responsibility.
The Online Store Editor team gives our hundreds of thousands of merchants the chance to build, customize and maintain their websites to whatever extent their hearts desire and their businesses demand. We make Shopify's innovative and easy-to-use website builder and the open platform that supports it — a platform that powers a large chunk of the Web and enables designers & developers all around the world to create cutting edge themes and apps to empower our merchants. Our users include everyone from newbies to seasoned experts; from new entrepreneurs to massive multinationals; from part-time freelancers to large agencies.
Our approach is very unique and long-term oriented. We're on a mission to build a world-class application to empower millions of people and push the web forward.
You'll need to have:
- Experience with Ruby and Ruby on Rails, or the desire to learn them quickly
- Experience building and scaling user-focused web applications
- Experience with UNIX commands
- Experience with relational databases and SQL
- A strong commitment to quality
It'd be great if you have:
- Experience contributing to our community through code, documentation, mentoring, teaching, speaking, or organizing
- A passion for helping growing development teams and making others better
- Experience working with platforms and developing APIs
- Experience with GraphQL
You'll be doing things like:
- Writing well-tested, beautiful and fast backend code in Ruby
- Collaborating with other developers, designers, and product managers
- Fixing bugs fast and taking your time to solve hard problems well
- Designing and building innovative features for the Online Store platform
- Contributing back to the open source community
- Learning and growing constantly to feed your passion for self-improvement and make those around you better
Here's how to apply:
If you’re interested in helping us shape the future of commerce, click the “Apply now” button to submit your application. If your CV speaks for itself, amazing, but we’re always interested in knowing more - so feel free to include a cover letter addressed to Jennifer.
Experience comes in many forms, many skills are transferable, and passion goes a long way. If your background is this close to what we’re looking for, please consider applying, even if you aren’t able to check every box above. We are dedicated to diversity and providing an inclusive workplace for all and especially encourage members of underrepresented groups to apply.