Lead Software Engineer - Security
Trust & Security
Trust & Security spans a broad scope at Shopify. On the Security Tooling Team, we build everything from scanners to detect all manner of nastiness, to tools that increase visibility into our networks, to automated reputation monitoring systems … and that’s a very small subset of what we do! We approach our work with two goals in mind: (1) reducing our teammates’ toil with software and (2) safeguarding our 600K+ merchants’ livelihoods.
We are looking for a lead to build out security tooling for the wider Trust & Security team. Coming in at this level, you will design and build security tools which the team will leverage to make commerce more secure for everyone. You will work on projects that have a positive impact across the Trust & Security team, and in turn, allow them to respond quickly and with greater accuracy.
Requirements for the role:
- Security-specific development experience. You’ve spent several years building security tools and features that scale with a growing company.
- Partnering with non-security development teams. You’re able to communicate security-speak to anyone.
- Ability to operate independently, but not as a silo. You require minimal supervision, but understand the value of collaborating and knowledge-sharing.
- Keeping a bird’s eye view. You’ve lead projects from road-mapping to completion, knowing who else to loop in in the process.
- Note: If some of this tech is new to you, that’s OK! We know not everyone will come in fully familiar with this stack, and we provide support to learn on the job.
- Building security tools for infrastructure and applications running on public cloud: GCP, AWS, Azure
- Discover weakness or repetitive tasks (or the intersection of the two!) that could be improved with software, and then build that software.
- Lead multiple projects and prioritize which needs the most attention.
- Share knowledge and provide technical leadership to others on the team.
- Provide security advice to developers across Shopify.
- Maintain trust with Shopify engineering teams.
We know that looking for a new role can be both exciting and time-consuming, and we truly appreciate your effort. Katie is an actual real live person (👋🏻) and is looking forward to learning more about you through your application.
And remember, we want to know what you're really interested in building and why you want to build it at Shopify, so please give us as much detail on this as you'd like in your cover letter - we do love a good story. 👍 📖