Senior Web Developer, Channels
Our Web Developers on Channels are solving real merchants problems by building the Online Store Channel and Storefront Platform Features, and working closely with the software engineering team, designers and product managers delivering merchant-facing products. You’ll gain a ton of perspective as you connect with different people that work on related parts of Shopify.
About Shopify Channels:
Shopify Channels was designed to give merchants one unified platform to do it all. The work that the channels team does helps entrepreneurs grow their businesses by creating experiences that feel empowering and delightful, increasing sales for all of Shopify’s merchants. As an example, the Channels team designs, builds and maintains our Shopify-built 3rd party channels, such as our integrations with Instagram, Facebook, Amazon and Messenger, builds our Online channel : the largest sales channel at Shopify and the primary channel for most of our merchants, and are even building a powerful virtual employee to handle all our merchant's marketing needs.
You'll need to have experience with:
- Understanding CSS preprocessors, such as SASS or LESS for example
- Working in a cross-discipline environment with designers and other developers to produce and vet ideas and prototype early concepts
It would be great if you had experience with:
- Rails-oriented developer tools or integrating front end into a Node.js application
- Build tools such as Webpack, Grunt or other
- Educating, scaling, or collaborating on new techniques, technologies, and processes within a company or community
- Deep dives in specific client-side areas, for example animations, performance, accessibility
- Providing mentorship on the stack you love
- Providing highly effective code reviews and peer support
You'll be working on things like:
- Developing React components and managing data flow using libraries like Redux, Apollo, GraphQL
- Using our Rails and Node.js stack to integrate front end into the development lifecycle
- Building applications that are responsive, performant, and accessible
- Collaborating with other disciplines across engineering, UX, and Product to help develop front end solutions to merchant problems
Tools and nitty gritty of the team 🛠:
- Our front end uses React, TypeScript and CSS Modules
- We build all our projects with a collaborative code review process using Github Flow
- We are modernizing our front end stack to use a component system built with React, TypeScript, Apollo/GraphQL, and CSS modules
- You will likely be involved in modernizing existing Ruby on Rails based apps to use a React front-end, and building new React-based apps
- You will be expected to keep up with the latest frontend development best practices
Here's how to apply:
If you’re interested in helping us shape the future of commerce, click the “Apply now” button to submit your application. Please address your cover letter to Jennifer and include a link to something you're proud of: a portfolio, code samples and/or Github account.
Experience comes in many forms, many skills are transferable, and passion goes a long way. If your experience is this close to what we’re looking for, consider applying. We know that diversity of thought makes for the best problem-solving and creative thinking, which is why we're dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team, and encourage everyone to apply.
This posting will remain up until January 31st, 2019. Candidates will be contacted in the weeks following.