Web Engineer Intern - Summer 2019
Ottawa, Montreal, Toronto
Shopify internships are 4 and 8 month paid terms, and are open to students, co-ops, recent graduates and those early on in their development careers. The 4-month Summer Internship will run May 6th- August 23rd 2019, and the 8-month Summer/Fall Internship will run May 6th, to December 20th, 2019.
Applications will be reviewed and interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis starting late January. The posting will close January 21st at 9:00am EST and applications will not be accepted after this date.
Who are we?
Shopify is the leading cloud-based, multi-channel commerce platform. Merchants can use our software to design, set up, and manage their stores across multiple sales channels, including web, mobile, social media, marketplaces, brick-and-mortar locations, and pop-up shops. The platform also provides merchants with a powerful back-office and a single view of their business. Headquartered in Ottawa, Canada, Shopify currently powers over 600,000 businesses in approximately 175 countries and is trusted by brands such as Red Bull, Nestle, Rebecca Minkoff, Kylie Cosmetics, and many more.
Life at Shopify
Being an intern at Shopify means you get to be impactful, and build for the long term. You’ll get to work alongside full time developers on real projects and features that will directly affect our merchants. Find out How We Enable Our Interns to Make an Impact & read from some of our current Shopify Interns Sharing their Tips for Success.
As a Web Engineer, you'll work on things like:
- Collaborating with other disciplines across Engineering, UX, and Product to help develop front-end solutions for merchant problems
- Developing React components and managing data flow using libraries like Redux, Apollo, GraphQL
- Developing large front-end web applications that perform well on all devices using modern languages and frameworks
- Writing and maintaining unit and integration tests
- Using Ruby on Rails to add and modify controllers, models, views, and integrating front-end code into a Rails application
You’re the kind of person who:
- Loves challenging yourself with projects or hacking just for fun
- Is a constant learner
- Has a creative mindset and approaches challenges in unique ways
- Has a passion for solving tough problems with code
- Takes ownership of the projects you work on
- Enjoys research and figuring out how pieces of an entire project work
- Takes pride in creating simple solutions to code complex problems
- Has a strong commitment to quality
In your application
We believe that schooling and years of experience are not a requirement here at Shopify. We feel that the best way to learn is not always in the typical classroom, but through practical experience, hard work, and passion. Many skills are transferable, and passion goes a long way. If your experience is close to what we’re looking for, consider applying. We know that diversity of thought makes for the best problem-solving and creative thinking, which is why we're dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team and encourage everyone to apply!
We're always looking to see where passion and engagement shows itself in all aspects of your life. We'd love to learn about your passions and initiatives beyond school requirements in your cover letter. You can address it to AJ.
Before hitting "Apply"
Help us learn more about you! Please complete ALL of the following tasks. Answer fields are provided on application page:
1. Learn more about the product you could be helping to build! Create a free trial Shopify store to get familiar with the platform- Focus more on the themes and visual components of the store.
2. We have Web Engineering Internship roles on many different teams across the company! To give us a good idea about the types of problems you like to solve, and to help us figure out where you can make the greatest impact this summer, please complete the Web Engineer Challenge.
When submitting your application please submit a link to your code base. And a link to your hosted version for testing
3. Please attach a cover letter addressed to AJ.
**If you are in the University of Waterloo co-op program you must apply through through Waterloo Works. If you do not apply through Waterloo Works, it is your responsibility to contact your co-op rep to have this posting added to your profile.