UX Lead, Merchandising
As we grow our UX team in Ottawa, we’re looking for a seasoned user experience leader to help us take on the next set of challenges. Somebody capable of building opinions by defining goals, direction and strategy, but also comfortable getting into the weeds and working directly with their team. At Shopify, leaders sketch too. They thrive on change and operate on trust, leveraging the diverse perspectives of the people on their team in everything they do.
We’re fascinated by how you think, how you break down problems and how you come up with solutions. Having a diverse background in a field not strictly related to design and user experience is actually a plus for us. We look for those who question, those who are never satisfied and always seek to do better and make better, and those who want to understand, deeply, why people do things. We will not stop until we have achieved our vision of making commerce better for our merchants and their customers, to help them create better relationships with their customers, and in the end run more successful businesses.
- Establishing a user experience vision for your product group and helping your team achieve it iteratively, shipping exceptionally high UX quality on your projects
- Developing baseline knowledge in all our UX disciplines (Content strategy, Research, Design, and Front end development) and deep expertise in your product area (Merchandising, Analytics, etc.)
- Working with the Product Managers and Senior Engineering Lead on your projects to balance technical, business, and merchant requirements
- Helping your team grow the soft and hard skills they need to ship better product
- Anticipating staffing needs on your team and helping to recruit for them
- Identifying people and technical challenges on your team as they arise and solving them
- Providing technical and strategic UX direction on your projects. You’ll work with your project team members to help them understand what they’re building towards and why.
- Developing and shipping with speed and consistency. We have immediate needs to deliver on our product roadmap today, while setting the vision for tomorrow.
Requirements for the role:
- You’ve led a team in a multidisciplinary UX environment. Ours includes research, design, front end development, and content strategy.
- You've also lead leaders. You understand that leadership is a craft, and know how to mentor your team members to lead their own teams.
- You love solving complex product problems with simple design solutions.
- You’re passionate about building tailored experiences across a diverse set of languages and cultures.
- You like to collaborate with product management and engineering to balance the right decisions for the product with the right decisions for the users.
- You provide teams with long term vision and strategy but don’t mind doing the work yourself when the situation arises.
- Bureaucracy is your nemesis.
- You have played a direct role in UX community building and thought leadership both inside your organization and beyond.
We know that applying to a new role takes a lot of work and we truly value your time. Holly is looking forward to reading your application. If you’re interested in helping us shape the future of commerce around the world, send us a few samples of your work: portfolio, wireframes, UX flows, publications, or whatever represents what you do best.