Developer Lead - Support Team
R&D – Engineering
At Shopify, we're making commerce better for everyone, everywhere. Merchants all over the world power their businesses with Shopify, and we want to help them succeed.
Everyone needs help from time to time, and we're building the tools and resources to assist merchants no matter their need. Our focused, resourceful team is building tools to help merchants solve their own problems, analyze support data, and get merchants in touch with us.
We're quick and agile, and we play an important role in assisting merchants when they need it most. We build critical tools to improve the merchant support experience. As a Lead Developer, you'll help us build solutions we can continue to be proud of.
How you'll have an impact:
- You will lead, mentor and coach our developers to level them up in their craft.
- You will be building things for the long term, in ways that benefit as many merchants as possible.
- You will leverage the latest technologies to build an unparalleled Support tooling system.
- You will communicate, a lot!
Role responsibilities & projects you could work on:
- Reconstructing Shopify's entire contact centre including our phone, chat, and email systems.
- Building out an effective data pipeline that covers the entire Support journey.
- Leveraging machine learning technologies to increase discoverability of self-help resources.
- Develop, refine, and tune integrations between applications.
- Exploring and prototyping new ways of helping our merchants.
- Scaling existing systems to support exponential international growth.
- Guide team development efforts towards successful sprint/project delivery.
- Provide technical leadership to teammates through coaching and mentorship.
- Maintain high standards of software quality within the team by establishing good practices and habits.
Relevant experience for the role:
- A leader who has experience with technical teams while also engaging in programming.
- An interest in Support systems - building phone, chat, and email applications at scale.
- A generalist more than a specialist that has experiencing pivoting as needed. Someone that knows technology is a means to a solution, not the solution itself.
- Experience with agile development methodologies including Kanban and Scrum.
- Strong communication skills with both internal team members and external business stakeholders.
- Strong initiative to find ways to improve solutions, systems, and processes.
Who you’ll be working with:
- A diverse team of engineers, designers, leaders, customer support experts, and business partners.
- Competent, engaged, experienced, and interesting people.
The tools you will use include:
- GraphQL, MySQL, Datadog
- Is some of this tech new to you? That’s OK! We know not everyone will come in familiar with this stack and we provide support to learn on the job.