Senior Software Developer, Channels
Shopify is the world’s fastest growing commerce platform, with no plans to slow down. We’re on a mission to scale our platform while simultaneously improving performance, reliability, and resiliency. To do this, we need the help of dedicated, methodical, and versatile developers!
We’re looking for senior back-end and full stack developers with a passion for solving tough problems with performant code. We ship on quality instead of on time. Our teams deploy new code many times a day, and our production scale is massive. We’re talking hundreds of thousands of online stores, and hundreds of millions of requests a day. Thousands of merchants will see your work within seconds – a tough but incredibly rewarding responsibility.
We’re growing quickly, so there are plenty of opportunities to learn and advance. You’ll have the creative freedom to make a real difference in the world of commerce, the support to bring your whole self to work, and the chance to work with the best in the business.
About Shopify Channels:
Shopify Channels was designed to give merchants one unified platform to do it all. The work that the channels team does helps entrepreneurs grow their businesses by creating experiences that feel empowering and delightful, increasing sales for all of Shopify’s merchants. As an example, the Channels team designs, builds and maintains our Shopify-built 3rd party channels, such as our integrations with Instagram, Facebook, Amazon and Messenger, builds our Online channel : the largest sales channel at Shopify and the primary channel for most of our merchants, and are even building a powerful virtual employee to handle all our merchant's marketing needs.
You’ll need to have extensive experience with:
- Building backend web services using several languages and frameworks (some tools we use include Ruby, UNIX commands, Go, Kafka, Python…)
- Working with relational databases and SQL (we’re mostly on MySQL with some Postgres)
- Working with Rails or the desire to learn it quickly
- Building and scaling user-focused web applications and/or mobile applications using different technologies (React, Angular, Backbone, Bootstrap, Swift, Android, …)
It’d be amazing if you have:
- A history of contributing to our community through code, documentation, mentoring, teaching, speaking, or organizing
- Experience building resilient, scalable services and concepts like SLA, fault tolerance, circuit breakers ring a bell
- Experience with development on a leading cloud provider (GCE, AWS, Azure, …)
- A commitment and drive for quality, excellence and results
- A passion for helping growing development teams and making others better
Here's how to apply:
If you’re interested in helping us shape the future of commerce, click the “Apply now” button to submit your application. Please address your cover letter to Jennifer and include a link to something you're proud of: a portfolio, code samples and/or Github account.
Experience comes in many forms, many skills are transferable, and passion goes a long way. If your experience is this close to what we’re looking for, consider applying. We know that diversity of thought makes for the best problem-solving and creative thinking, which is why we're dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team, and encourage everyone to apply.
This posting will remain up until January 31st, 2019. Candidates will be contacted in the weeks following.