Senior Developer, Support
At Shopify, we're making commerce better for everyone, everywhere. Merchants all over the world power their businesses with Shopify, and we want to help them succeed.
Everyone needs help from time to time, and we're building the tools and resources to assist merchants no matter their need. Our focused, resourceful team is building tools to help merchants solve their own problems, analyze support data, and get merchants in touch with us.
We're quick and agile, and we play an important role in assisting merchants when they need it most. We build critical tools to improve the merchant support experience. As a Senior Developer, you'll help us build solutions we can continue to be proud of.
How you’ll have an impact:
- You will be building things for the long term, in ways that benefit as many merchants as possible.
- You will leverage the latest technologies to build an unparalleled Support tooling system.
- You will learn and grow constantly to feed your passion for self-improvement and make those around you better
- You will communicate, a lot!
Role responsibilities & projects you could work on:
- Reconstructing Shopify's entire contact centre including our phone, chat, and email systems.
- Building out an effective data pipeline that covers the entire Support journey.
- Leveraging machine learning technologies to increase discoverability of self-help resources.
- Develop, refine, and tune integrations between applications.
- Exploring and prototyping new ways of helping our merchants.
- Scaling existing systems to support exponential international growth.
- Help provide technical leadership to teammates through coaching and mentorship.
- Maintain high standards of software quality within the team by exhibiting good practices and habits.
You have extensive experience with most of these:
- Building backend web services with any combination of web technologies (ex: Ruby on Rails, Node, PHP, Python, Cobol, Java/JEE, …)
- Working with relational databases and SQL (we’re mostly on MySQL with some Postgres)
- Building resilient solutions at scale, and then constantly scaling them further
- Agile development methodologies including Kanban and Scrum
- Finding the best solution and technology for the problem, whatever it may be
Who you’ll be working with:
- A diverse team of engineers, designers, leaders, customer support experts, and business partners.
- Competent, engaged, experienced, and interesting people.
The tools you will use include:
- GraphQL, MySQL, Kafka, in-house ML applications
- Is some of this tech new to you? That’s OK! We know not everyone will come in familiar with this stack and we provide support to learn on the job. Moreover, we’re excited to hear about other technologies you think would best solve the problems we’re tackling.
Candidates will be contacted in 2019. Happy Holidays :)