Production Engineering - Mobile Tooling Manager
Ottawa, Montreal, Toronto, Waterloo, Remote UTC-4 to UTC
The Mobile Tooling team at Shopify makes the experience for Shopify’s iOS and Android developers productive and enjoyable. We do this by removing local development pain points, advocating for convention across our teams, and implementing our continuous integration and release processes. Really we complement what’s provided by Apple and Google to give our mobile devs great tools to get their job done.
We need an experienced technical and people lead who will get their hands dirty building our mobile tools as well as manage and grow our developers. This role will initially be a 50/50 split between people and project management and technical design and architecture work. As the team grows, you will shift more towards people/project management but likely never completely let go of the technical work.
You'll need to have:
- Technical leadership and people management experience
- The ability to create concrete and focused project plans
- Experience executing on complex, technical projects
- Experience building and passion for development tools and automation
- Good spoken and written communication skills
It'd be great if you have:
- Experience managing distributed teams
- Hands-on experience with any of: Ruby, Git, Kubernetes, macOS automation
- Hands-on mobile dev experience on iOS or Android (though this role isn’t about writing mobile apps)
You'll be working on:
- Building and growing a productive and engaged team
- Future direction for the team to continue to support Shopify as it scales
- Maintaining a healthy working relationship with our mobile development teams, and advocate for cross-team standardization on best practices
- Technical contributions to the team
We know that applying to a new role takes a lot of work and we truly value your time. Lawrence Mandel is looking forward to reading your application. Tell us why you’d be an awesome addition to our team!