Software Engineer - Shipping Services
Shopify is the world’s fastest growing commerce platform and we have no plans to slow down.
We’re on a mission to scale our platform while simultaneously improving performance, reliability, and resiliency. To do this, we need the help of dedicated, methodical, and versatile developers who can take a look at a problem and figure out how to solve it without a ton of direction.
Shopify is the longest continuously developed Rails app on the planet. Many core Rails features were actually developed at Shopify, and we’re constantly improving our codebase to make it better or leaner. We’re looking for developers with a passion for solving tough problems with performant code. If you’re interested in helping us build the future of Shopify this job’s for you. You’ll work on the merchant facing UI, expand our API, and improving how we run the admin in production. We ship on quality instead of on time. Our teams deploy new code many times a day, and our production scale is massive. We host tens of thousands of online stores, and see hundreds of millions of requests a day. Thousands of merchants will see your work within seconds – a tough but incredibly rewarding responsibility.
Technical skills we’d like you to have:
- Proficiency with UNIX commands
- Experience with relational databases and SQL (we’re mostly on MySQL with some Postgres)
- Experience building all aspects of web applications
- Experience building and scaling user-focused web applications
- A strong commitment to quality
- The drive to work autonomously and to be highly resourceful
It'd be great if you have experience with:
- Experience contributing to our community through code, documentation, mentoring, teaching, speaking, or organizing
- Experience with NodeJS OR the desire to learn it quickly
- Start-up experience (wears all hats)
- Eager to work on the full stack
- Mobile development experience
You’ll be doing things like:
- Writing well-tested, beautiful and fast back-end code in Ruby and possibly Go
- If full-stack, writing great front-end code in React and other technologies
- Collaborating with other Shopify developers and external partners to provide the best shipping experience for merchants
- Fixing bugs fast and taking your time to solve hard problems well
- Contributing back to the open source community
- Learning and growing constantly to feed your passion for self-improvement and make those around you better
- Designing and building innovative features that are driven by web scale data
If you’re interested in helping us shape the future of shipping at Shopify, click the “Apply Now” button to submit your application.
If your CV speaks for itself, that’s fine, but we’re always interested in knowing more - so feel feel to include a cover letter addressed to Chris.