UX Manager, Localization
Montreal - Office
R&D – UX - Leadership
Shopify has redefined commerce, raising the standard for how companies of all sizes sell their products and services online and off. With 800,000+ merchants in more than 175 different countries, and the most innovative platform on the market, we continue to grow rapidly while constantly looking for new ways to impact and disrupt markets.
Shopify's UX team is hands on and obsessed with enabling commerce at a global scale. With over 450 designers, content strategists, researchers, and developers working across the company, this team has a special role in building understanding and empathy for merchants. We believe in testing, iteration, and in giving people the room to experiment and grow. The International team team at Shopify has the mission to make commerce better for everyone...everywhere!
Making Shopify better for merchants around the world brings deeply interesting UX challenges across language, behaviours, currency & trade, and ultimately, culture. We’re always on the lookout for people who are excited to work on hard problems at a global scale in a friendly, collaborative environment. If this sounds familiar, we’d love to hear from you.
As a UX Manager on the Localization team, you have a special role in building understanding and empathy for merchants around the world. This role bridges our country teams with the rest of Shopify UX's 450+ team, to share insights from locations to enable all product teams to consider local experiences. Your day to day will feature a mix of internal education, advocacy, as well as direct, merchant problem-solving on the most complex localization problems that our product teams face. This is an opportunity to learn about users all over the world, and bring their perspectives back into our design systems. You will work with a multidisciplinary UX team of product designers, content strategists, user researchers, and front-end developers to deliver the best possible experience for our merchants around the world. We believe in testing, iteration, and in giving people the room to experiment and grow.
Requirements for the role:
- You’ve designed and shipped product experiences for international audiences.
- You’ve led a team in a multidisciplinary UX environment. Ours includes research, design, front-end development, and content strategy.
- You love solving complex product problems with simple design solutions.
- You’re passionate about building tailored experiences across a diverse set of languages and cultures.
- You like to collaborate with product management and engineering to balance the right decisions for the product with the right decisions for the users.
- You provide teams with long term vision and strategy but don’t mind doing the work yourself when the situation arises.
- Bureaucracy is your nemesis.
- You have played a direct role in UX community building and thought leadership both inside your organization and beyond.
Projects you could work on:
- Ensuring our platform considers the full range of international merchant needs across language, culture, and local commerce behaviours. While we may share the platform, merchant needs vary greatly around the world.
- Building new products around international requirements, to serve merchants in new ways on the Shopify platform. We know that language, payments, & shipping products can function fundamentally different around the world - we need you to help us consider the breadth and depth of these challenges and provide simple, scalable experiences.
- Working with other teams at Shopify to build a deep understanding and consideration of merchant needs around the world.
- Evolving the look and feel of Shopify to be relevant in priority markets as we scale; with the discipline to think locally and act globally.
- Shaping how our product teams, including UX, engineering and product management collaborate to produce a world-class offering. The International team is still in the fundamental forming and storming stages as a product team. We’re building to the needs of our merchants while hardening our institutional knowledge.
- Relationship building with UX leadership across Shopify. While we have the freedom to define our own process, it’s essential to be a partner, advocate and challenger at the leadership table to best support the needs of the International merchants.
- Providing technical and strategic UX direction on your project. You’ll work with your project team members to help them understand what they’re building towards and why.
- Developing and shipping with speed and consistency. We have immediate needs to deliver on our product roadmap today, while setting the vision for tomorrow.
We know that applying to a new role takes a lot of work and we truly value your time. Holly is looking forward to reading your application. If you’re interested in helping us shape the future of commerce around the world, send us a few samples of your work: portfolio, wireframes, UX flows, publications, or whatever represents what you do best. This posting will close on Monday, May 27 at 9am EST.
At Shopify, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous people, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities.