Senior Developer, International Growth (Remote, Singapore)
Asia, Singapore /
R&D – Engineering /
Shopify is a commerce platform with the mission to make commerce better for everyone. Shopify powers over one million merchants around the world, and we're just getting started. This role will be part of the International Growth team, a segment within Shopify with the mission to make commerce better for everyone... everywhere. Our Singapore office will focus on cross border merchants within APAC, and related functionalities and features.
At Shopify, we ship on quality instead of time. Our teams deploy new code many times a day, and our production scale is massive. Hundreds of thousands of merchants will see your work within minutes – a tough but incredibly rewarding responsibility.
We're looking for Senior Developers with a passion for solving tough problems with performant code. Developers who want to join a company with a history of contributing to our community through code. You'll have the creative freedom to make a real difference in the world of commerce, the support to bring your authentic self to work, and the chance to work with the best in the business.
Requirements for the role:
- A product-minded developer who cares about the "Why" - Why build this feature? How will we measure impact?
- A generalist (or a T-shaped/Full Stack developer) rather than a specialist, excited by problems that require a mix of frontend and backend skills, and unblocking anything that stands in the way of success.
- Strong foundation of design principles, especially when it relates to platform development in the areas of API, data modelling, and scale
- Experience in writing automated tests as part of your development workflow (even better if you do it TDD)
- A passion for efficiency and collaboration, with a history of establishing great relationships with other teams, across offices, and time zones
- A genuine interest in APAC, emerging markets, cultural nuances and/or product localization; bonus for previous experience working within the ecommerce industry across Asia and in China
- The curiosity and passion to constantly learn new things; Shopify changes fast, and we need the people who work here to be able to change and learn fast too
- Familiarity with Ruby and/or Ruby on Rails, or the desire to learn quickly
Projects you could work on (specific to Asia):
- Improve Shopify's reliability and speed
- Improve Shopify's onboarding experience
- Improve integration with core marketing platforms
- Improve integration with local payment providers, such as PayTM and Cash on Delivery
- Engaging with teams across Shopify to ensure all new features are built with our international markets in mind
- Compliance with international laws, such as GDPR and ePrivacy Regulation
- Focusing on building for the long term, in ways that benefit as many merchants as possible
- Giving back to the community by open-sourcing some key components
The tools you will use include:
- Ruby, Ruby on Rails (we also have TypeScript and React)
- MySQL (some Postgres), Splunk, Datadog, Mode
It would be great if you have:
- A history of contributing to the developer community through code, documentation, mentoring, teaching, speaking, or organizing events
- A passion for helping growing development teams and making others better
- Experience building resilient, scalable services, and have an appreciation for concepts like SLA, and fault tolerance
- Experience with development on a leading cloud provider (GCP, AWS, Azure, Aliyun, Tencent etc.)
- A commitment and drive for quality, excellence and results
- If some of this tech is new to you, that's ok! We know not everyone will come in fully familiar with this stack, and we provide support to learn on the job.
How to apply
If you’re interested in helping us shape the future of commerce around the world, send us a few samples of your work: Github, website, publications, or whatever represents what you do best.
We know that applying to a new role takes a lot of work and we truly value your time. Jessie is looking forward to reading your application.
At Shopify, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We strongly encourage applications from racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities.