UX Manager, Core Product
About the Role
As we continue to grow our UX team in Ottawa, we’re looking for a user experience leader to help us take on the next set of challenges. Somebody capable of building opinions by defining goals, direction and strategy, but also comfortable getting into the weeds and working directly with their team. At Shopify, leaders sketch too. They thrive on change and operate on trust, leveraging the diverse perspectives of the people on their team in everything they do.
We’re fascinated by how you think, how you break down problems, and how you come up with solutions. We look for those who question, who are never satisfied, and always seek to do better and make better. Those who want to deeply understand why people do things.
We’re looking for an experienced UX Manager to deliver high quality product experiences. You will explore and understand complex merchant needs in order to build a vision for your area and help your team work iteratively towards achieving it. You'll ship high fidelity designs of new features and quickly prototype solutions to visual and interaction problems. You’ll own your projects from start to finish, and collaborate with a multidisciplinary team of designers, content strategists, user researchers, developers, and product managers to deliver the best possible experience for our merchants.
About UX at Shopify
The UX design team creates tools that give even the most inexperienced entrepreneur the best chance to succeed. At the same time, we design solutions that help some of the world’s leading businesses manage enormous complexity. Making commerce better for everyone, no matter where they’re located or their level of experience, is our passion. It’s what we come to work every morning excited to tackle.
Our team is made up of over 400 designers, content strategists, researchers, and front-end developers across 6 offices. The UX team has a special role in building understanding and empathy for merchants. We believe in testing, iteration, and in giving people the room to experiment and grow.
We’re always on the lookout for people who are excited to work on complex and challenging problems at a global scale in a friendly, collaborative environment. If this sounds familiar, we’d love to hear from you.
What you'll be working on:
- Establishing a user experience vision and leading your team to achieve it iteratively by working with your peers in product management, engineering, and data science.
- Developing a baseline knowledge in all our UX disciplines (content strategy, research, design, and user experience development) and deep expertise in your product’s problem area.
- Working with the Product Manager and Engineering Lead on your projects to balance technical, business, and merchant requirements.
- Growing and mentoring your team of direct reports including product designers and content strategists, with a dotted line reporting to UX Researchers. You’ll help them work towards their career goals and build the next generation of UX leadership at Shopify.
- Planning and recruiting for the long term to build a fully-functioning multidisciplinary UX team.
- Working with your peer UX Managers as well as senior UX leadership to contribute to the growth of the UX organization’s team and processes.
You're the ideal person for this role if you have examples of how you've:
- Been responsible for the performance management and career growth of one or more reports on a product design team. It’d be great if you’ve led folks from multiple disciplines like content strategy or research.
- Led the UX or product design direction of a complex feature or product with multiple user jobs.
- Worked collaboratively with peers outside of UX (like product managers, engineers, or data scientists) to prioritize the needs of your users.
- Managed relationships with a variety of different stakeholders to balance business and user needs.
- Helped a product team achieve a healthy balance of exploring a problem thoroughly while still shipping value early and often.
- Thrived in an environment of rapid growth and change.
This is a permanent, full-time role onsite in our Ottawa, Canada headquarters. Relocation is an option from anywhere in the world.
We know that applying to a new role takes a lot of work and we truly value your time. We are looking forward to reading your application – thanks for your interest!