Senior Data Scientist - Finance
Ottawa, Elgin - HQ
R&D – Data Science & Engineering
Our Data Science team provides reporting, monitoring, and strategic advice to all areas of Shopify. They are the voice of data and support all aspects of our business, enabling them to make better informed decisions. We have dedicated groups of data scientists that work with finance, marketing, product, support, platform and human resources. Our data science teams are completely full-stack, both in how they participate in decision-making at the leadership level, and in their technical competencies.
Required experience for the role:
- You have worked on a Data Science team at scale where analytics on top of massive data sets drives product and business decisions
- Working knowledge of Python or other programming language
- You are equal parts technical and functional (and both are strong), and you are equally comfortable and effective at presenting to technical or business leaders (including the CFO)
- Understanding the many uses of regression and inferential statistics
- Extensive experience analyzing data using SQL
- Great organizational and interpersonal skills, with proven success building relationships across all levels
Projects you could work on:
- Working in a highly collaborative fashion as a core member of the Data Science Team to prioritize data collection, transformation, and advanced statistical techniques
- Alongside Shopify’s finance team, you'll work closely with senior leadership to define and measure key metrics, promote new analytical techniques, question assumptions, and tell the story behind the numbers
- As someone who thrives in a rapidly changing environment, you will develop a deep understanding of our data, tools, and processes
- Using machine learning to help develop forecasting models to assist with financial planning
You’ll be an integral part of Shopify’s wider Data Science and Engineering organization where we’ve built out a petabyte scale Data Warehouse to make sure that every Shopifier can access the data they need to make better decisions. This includes empowering the 800,000+ merchants on our platform as well. With our goal of making commerce better for everyone, being a data-informed company includes enabling data-informed merchants!
If you're interested in helping us shape the future of commerce, click the "Apply Now" button to submit your application. Please address your cover letter to Phil Rossi.