Senior Data Scientist - Infrastructure
R&D – Data Science & Engineering
With over 800,000 merchants, the demand on our production infrastructure is ever growing. Shopify’s Production Engineering team is building a world class infrastructure to support the needs of our merchants. In 2019 we are building a Data Science team focused on continuing to help Production Engineering scale up and ensure that our infrastructure continues to scale to meet our merchants needs.
We need help solving some high level themes like capacity planning, cost projections, performance analysis, quality measurement and analysis. We need help answering questions like: are we provisioning resources as efficiently as possible? How do we predict periods of high and low volume and scale accordingly? How do we predict flash sales?
We need a strong data scientist to build out this discipline - someone with a solid understanding of data who can deliver actionable insights while avoiding the dangers of metric chasing. You’ll work in collaboration with our existing internal-facing data teams, production engineering leadership, and peers in the industry. You will define the measures and put the tools in place to more effectively guide our Production Engineering team. This is a role for you if you want to take on the challenge of making the Shopify Production Engineering team more productive and efficient as it grows.
Required experience for the role:
- Experience working in data analytics, science or engineering
- A willingness to evangelize developer metrics and understand how to drive adoption and use across the organization
- Using narratives and dashboards to incite stakeholders to action
- Strong fluency in SQL and Python
- Good spoken and written communication skills
Relevant experience for the role:
- Technical leadership and/or management experience
- Experience with statistical methods like regression, causal inference, machine learning or experiment design and analysis
- Exposure to Tableau, Mode, Matplotlib, or similar data visualization tools
- The willingness to make mistakes and laugh about them
If you’re interested in helping us shape the future of commerce at Shopify, click the “Apply For This Job” button to submit your application. Please address your cover letter to Phil and tell him why you think you'd be great for the role.