Business Operations Lead - Shipping Services
We're looking for a Operations Lead to join the team that is helping to guide Shopify's global shipping & fulfillment platform strategy. Moving physical goods from one place to another is a complex business and changing fast. Our team has already vastly improved shipping for our merchants - with your help, they will be able to move even more quickly, extending what has already been built and transforming shipping at Shopify.
The Operations team sits in the centre of Shipping Services, linking together all the different functional groups both strategically and operationally. Using a combination of strong business acumen and analytical skills, you will act as one of the primary sources of context for the shipping team to drive strategic decision making, support our aggressive growth, and improve customer satisfaction and adoption in new markets.
You’ll need to have:
- A minimum 5+ years in finance, strategic planning, and operations.
- Experience driving business strategy through business case development.
- Experience surfacing business insights to better optimize the business, including defining and measuring KPIs and analyzing growth, adoption, margins etc.
- Experience preparing financial projections & presenting your findings and recommendations.
- Experience project management, including success running one-off special projects.
- Experience with a growth company or a growth business within a non-growth company.
- Experience with management consulting.
It'd be great if you also had:
- Pricing experience (eg: sensitivity analysis).
- Experience working in ecommerce.
- Experience working in the shipping and/or fulfillment industry.
- Experience using Shopify or any ‘like’ eCommerce platforms is a plus.
- Lead a team and helped grow it.
You'll get to do things like:
- Help lead and define global strategy for driving platform-wide growth for Shipping.
- Drive insights to the cross functional leadership team on how business could be best optimized for strategic goals: growth, adoption and margin.
- Work across teams including Data, Finance, Product Management, Marketing, Ops, Support and Sales to drive growth and business success.
- Own reporting and analysis of business metrics, drive for results with the use and prioritization of data (eg. exec reporting, QBR’s, project management at the team level).
- Working with our commercial team to support negotiations with partners both through analysis of alternatives through shipping rate comparisons as well as comparison of impact to Shopify and our merchants.
- Working with carriers (Fedex, UPS etc) to establish long term business processes, identifying risks and opportunities within these relationships.
- Owning shipping rate cards through involvement in pricing strategy and promotion discussions; using that information to build out and maintain shipping rate-cards and QA our live rates and rate documentation.
If your experience is this close to what we’re looking for, please consider applying. Experience comes in many forms – skills are transferable, and passion goes a long way. We know that diversity makes for the best problem-solving and creative thinking, which is why we’re dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team and encourage everyone to apply. Please make your application out to Jonathan, he's a real live person!