Senior Web Developer - Multiple Roles
Montreal - Office
R&D – Engineering
Shopify is the world’s fastest growing commerce platform, with no plans to slow down. We’re looking for senior web developers with a passion for solving tough problems with performant code. We ship on quality instead of on time. Our teams deploy new code many times a day, and our production scale is massive. We’re talking hundreds of thousands of online stores, and hundreds of millions of requests a day. Thousands of merchants will see your work within seconds – a tough but incredibly rewarding responsibility.
Our Web Developers work closely with the software engineering team, designers and product managers delivering merchant-facing products. You’ll gain a ton of perspective as you connect with different people that work on related parts of Shopify.
The tools you will use include: TypeScript, React, GraphQL and more! We don’t expect you to necessarily know all of these when you apply, just have a passion for learning and continuous improvement!
Teams you could be supporting:
Financial Solutions: Managing money can be one of the most stressful parts of running a business. Shopify creates simple financial solutions that help merchants accept payments and capital, avoid fraud, and pay their bills. We take the worry and confusion out of finances, so entrepreneurs around the world can focus on growing their business.
International Growth: We have hundreds of thousands of merchants on the Shopify platform at the moment, mostly in North America. This team is tackling the challenges that come from creating localized versions of our platform, and that means a heck of a lot more than just translations.
Projects you could work on
- Building performant web applications that are responsive and accessible
- Collaborating with other disciplines across Engineering, UX, and Product to help develop front-end solutions for merchant problems
- Developing complex applications based on React and GraphQL
- Contributing to our shared design system and component library Polaris, and also to our other shared, open source libraries used to build applications
- Learning the latest front-end technologies and standards to ensure we are always using the best tools and techniques possible
- Advocating for great UX
- Writing and maintaining unit and integration tests
Relevant experience for the role
- Developing front-end web applications that perform well on all devices using modern languages and frameworks
- Working with one or more modern web stacks (transpilers, linters, build and CI tools, etc.)
- Doing performance optimizations on complex client-side applications
- Working in large and diverse teams
- Providing highly effective code reviews and peer support
Tools and the nitty-gritty
- Our front end uses React, TypeScript and CSS Modules
- We build all our projects with a collaborative code review process using Github Flow
- We are modernizing our front end stack to use a component system built with React, TypeScript, Apollo/GraphQL, and CSS modules
- You will likely be involved in modernizing existing Ruby on Rails based apps to use a React front-end, and building new React-based apps
- You will be expected to keep up with the latest frontend development best practices
If you’re interested in helping us shape the future of commerce at Shopify, click the “Apply Now” button to submit your application.
We know that applying to a new role takes a lot of work and we truly value your time. We look forward to reading your application.