Production/Infrastructure Engineering Intern - Summer 2019
Ottawa, Montreal, Toronto, Waterloo
Shopify internships are 4 and 8 month paid terms, and are open to students, co-ops, recent graduates and those early on in their development careers. The 4-month Summer Internship will run May 6th- August 23rd 2019, and the 8-month Summer/Fall Internship will run May 6th- December 20th, 2019.
Applications will be reviewed and interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis starting in late January. The posting will close Monday January 21st at 9:00 AM EST and applications will not be accepted after this date.
**If you are in the University of Waterloo co-op program you must apply through through Waterloo Works. If you do not apply through Waterloo Works, it is your responsibility to contact your co-op rep to have this posting added to your profile.
Who are we?
Shopify is the leading omni-channel commerce platform. Merchants use Shopify to design, set up, and manage their stores across multiple sales channels, including mobile, web, social media, marketplaces, brick-and-mortar locations, and pop-up shops. The platform also provides merchants with a powerful back-office and a single view of their business, from payments to shipping. The Shopify platform was engineered for reliability and scale, making enterprise-level technology available to businesses of all sizes. Headquartered in Ottawa, Canada, Shopify currently powers over 600,000 businesses in approximately 175 countries and is trusted by independent business owners and brands such as Nestle, Kylie Cosmetics, Allbirds, MVMT, and many more.
Shopify is the largest Rails application in the world and we're a big part of the Rails community. We’re constantly improving our codebase to make it even better or leaner. We ship on quality instead of on time. Our teams deploy new code many times a day, and our production scale is massive. Thousands of merchants will see your work within seconds – a tough but incredibly rewarding responsibility. You can learn more about what our teams are up to on our Eng blog!
Cyber reliability at Shopify encompasses the disciplines of site reliability engineering, infrastructure engineering, and developer productivity. Our team ensures that Shopify infrastructure is able to scale massively, while also delivering resilient systems, amazing performance, and impactful tools for our entire engineering team.
Life at Shopify
Being an intern at Shopify means you get to be impactful, and build for the long term. You’ll get to work alongside full time devs, deploying to master on real projects and features that will directly affect our merchants. Find out what past interns have had to say here. For more stories from Inside Shopify, check out our blog.
Schooling and years of experience are not a requirement here at Shopify. We feel that the best way to learn is not always in the typical classroom, but through practical experience, hard work, and passion.
As a cyber reliability engineering intern you’ll be working on things like:
- Writing beautiful and fast code that improves our code base in meaningful ways
- Receiving mentorship and infinite opportunities to learn and grow
- Collaborating with other designers and developersUsing TDD to write well-tested code
- Fixing bugs fast and taking your time to solve hard problems well
- Contributing to the open source community
You’re the kind of person who:
- Loves challenging yourself with projects or hacking just for fun
- Is a constant learner
- Has a passion for solving tough problems with code
- Takes ownership of the projects you work on
- Enjoys research and figuring out how pieces of an entire project work
- Takes pride in creating simple solutions to complex problems
- Has a strong commitment to quality
In your application
We're always looking to see where passion and engagement shows itself in all aspects of your life. We'd love to learn about your passions and initiatives beyond school requirements in your cover letter. You can address it to Sacha Adkins.
Experience comes in many forms, many skills are transferable, and passion goes a long way. If your experience is close to what we’re looking for, consider applying. We know that diversity of thought makes for the best problem-solving and creative thinking, which is why we're dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team and encourage everyone to apply.
Before hitting "Apply"
Help us learn more about you! Please complete ALL of the following tasks. Answer fields are provided on application page:
1. Learn more about the product you could be helping to build! Create a free trial Shopify store to get familiar with the platform.
2. We have production engineering internship roles on many different teams across the company! To give us a good idea about the types of problems you like to solve, and to help us figure out where you can make the greatest impact this fall, please complete the production engineering challenge.
3. Please attach a personalized cover letter and address it to Sacha Adkins.