Production Engineering - Cloud Systems Engineer
At Shopify we run hundreds of applications that make commerce better for everyone. To support our development team moving quickly and building for the long term, our Cloud Platform team is creating a platform on top of Kubernetes. Our objective is to create a simple to use system that can allow for rapid prototyping, while simultaneously being powerful and customizable enough to incubate new ideas from inception to production.
You will work with other Production Engineering teams to provide a core service that all developers and services at Shopify will use. This will be used to empower new features and ensure reliability across the entire company.
Required Experience for the role:
- Awesome programming skills. We usually work with Ruby and Go, but experience in any language works
- Ability to be resourceful and independently learn new languages, software, frameworks and APIs
- Experience debugging and maintaining distributed systems
- Problem solving and critical thinking skills
- An understanding of what it’s like to build an app from ground-up, to bridge the gap between an app and the system that runs it
- Familiarity with commercial PaaS systems, such as Heroku
- Experience with scaling system architecture and knowledge of orchestration tools such as Mesos or Kubernetes
- Experience with continuous delivery processes with an emphasis on automation
Relevant Experience for the role:
- Experience with Ruby and/or Rails
- Experience developing monitoring, tooling and alerting at scale, high availability systems
- Professional knowledge of a major cloud provider (AWS, Azure, Google Cloud)
- Experience with resiliency and capacity planning of large internet services
Projects you could work on:
- Deploying tooling or applications to multiple clusters
- Migrating workloads between clusters
- Productizing resilient operational patterns
- Working as part of the engineering team to build and scale distributed, multi-region systems
- Investigating and resolving production issues
- Building self-service tooling for engineers to automate the configuration and monitoring of infrastructure
The 🛠‘s you will use include: Go, Kubernetes, Docker, GCP, AWS, GitHub, Ruby, Rails, MySQL, Redis, Memcached, Nginx
There is an on-call component to this role. You will share an on-call rotation alongside your team.
How to Apply 📄 ➡️ 📬If you’re interested in helping us shape the future of commerce at Shopify, click the “Apply Now” button to submit your application. Please address your application to Dale.