Developer Analytics Data Scientist
As Shopify’s development team grows to 1000 developers and beyond, we need to find new ways to increase productivity and benefit from our size. We do this today by building tools and process that keep our developers focused on their job of efficiently and safely delivering code changes to our platform. Our next challenge is to ensure that we’re making the right decisions at the organization and team levels by incorporating developer analytics into senior decision making and front line management. We need to answer questions like: how long does it take new developers to get up-to-speed, are we delivering changes exponentially/linearly/sub-linearly as our team grows, and how long does it take to get code from idea to production? In short, how healthy is the development discipline at Shopify?
We need a strong data scientist to build out this discipline - someone with a solid understanding of data who can deliver actionable insights while avoiding and the dangers of metric chasing. You’ll work in collaboration with our existing internal-facing data teams (such as People Analytics), development leadership, and peers in the industry. You will define the measures and put the tools in place to more effectively guide the development organization and support our development teams. This is a role for you if you want to take on the challenge of making the Shopify development team more productive and efficient as it grows and share what you learn publicly to advance the industry.
Required experience for the role:
- Experience working in data analytics, science or engineering
- A willingness to evangelize developer metrics and understand how to drive adoption and use across the organization
- Using narratives and dashboards to incite stakeholders to action
- Strong fluency in SQL and Python
- Good spoken and written communication skills
Relevant experience for the role:
- Technical leadership and/or management experience
- Experience with statistical methods like regression, causal inference, machine learning or experiment design and analysis
- Conducted market research to look at various competitive landscapes or generate feedback on a given product’s user experience through the use of surveys.
- Exposure to Tableau, Mode, Matplotlib, or similar data visualization tools
- The willingness to make mistakes and laugh about them
Projects you could work on:
- Technical contributions for collecting, analyzing, and sharing development data to answer questions like “what is the bottleneck in our code review process?”
- Establishing the data discipline within the development organization
- Having a positive impact on the development process at Shopify
If you’re interested in helping us shape the future of commerce at Shopify, click the “Apply For This Job” button to submit your application. Be sure to address your cover letter to Ross in the additional info section and tell him why you think you'd be great for the role.