Mobile Developer Intern (iOS) - Summer 2019
Ottawa, Toronto, Montreal
Shopify internships are 4 and 8 month paid terms, and are open to students, co-ops, recent graduates and those early on in their development careers. The 4-month Summer Internship will run May 6th- August 23rd 2019, and the 8-month Summer/Fall Internship will run May 6th, to December 20th, 2019.
Applications will be reviewed and interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis starting late January. The posting will close January 21st at 9:00am EST and applications will not be accepted after this date.
Who are we?
Shopify is the leading cloud-based, multi-channel commerce platform. Merchants can use the software to design, set up, and manage their stores across multiple sales channels, including web, mobile, social media, marketplaces, brick-and-mortar locations, and pop-up shops. The platform also provides merchants with a powerful back-office and a single view of their business. Headquartered in Ottawa, Canada, Shopify currently powers over 600,000 businesses in approximately 175 countries and is trusted by brands such as Red Bull, Nestle, Rebecca Minkoff, Kylie Cosmetics, and many more.
We’ve found that the commerce scene is moving to mobile from the customer side, and our prediction is that owning a computer will be a novelty; needing one will be a deal breaker. Our existing merchants expect to do more from their smartphones, but our addressable market of entrepreneurs is moving to a lifestyle of phone only, with no desktops/laptops.
'This isn’t an accessory to the web admin, this is starting, building and running a multi-channel Shopify business that appeals to our entrepreneurs, professionals and high volume merchants. This is all about the capabilities of today’s and tomorrow’s Shopify, which includes the ability to sell on new channels with the tap of a button. This team maintains the Shopify Mobile product, including its core functionality, visual and architectural components, new merchant experience, app releases and product strategy. You can learn more about what our teams are up to on our Eng blog!
Life at Shopify
Being an intern at Shopify means you get to be impactful, and build for the long term. You’ll get to work alongside full time devs, deploying to master on real projects and features that will directly affect our merchants. Find out How We Enable Our Interns to Make an Impact & read our current Shopify Interns Sharing their Tips for Success.
Schooling and years of experience are not a requirement here at Shopify. We feel that the best way to learn is not always in the typical classroom, but through practical experience, hard work, and passion.
As an iOS Mobile Developer Intern you’ll be working on things like:
- Writing beautiful and fast code that improves our code base in meaningful ways
- Receiving mentorship and infinite opportunities to learn and grow
- Collaborating with other designers and developers
- Using Swift to write well-tested code
- Fixing bugs fast and taking your time to solve hard problems well
- Contributing to the open source community
You’re the kind of person who:
- Loves challenging yourself with projects or hacking just for fun
- Is a constant learner
- Has a passion for solving tough problems with code
- Takes ownership of the projects you work on
- Enjoys research and figuring out how pieces of an entire project work
- Takes pride in creating simple solutions to code complex problems
- Has a strong commitment to quality
In your application
We're always looking to see where passion and engagement shows itself in all aspects of your life. We'd love to learn about your passions and initiatives beyond school requirements in your cover letter. You can address it to AJ.
Experience comes in many forms, many skills are transferable, and passion goes a long way. If your experience is close to what we’re looking for, consider applying. We know that diversity of thought makes for the best problem-solving and creative thinking, which is why we're dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team and encourage everyone to apply.
Before hitting "Apply"
Help us learn more about you! Please complete ALL of the following tasks. Answer fields are provided on application page:
1. Learn more about the product you could be helping to build! Create a free trial Shopify store to get familiar with the platform- Focus more on the themes and visual components of the store.
2. We have mobile developer internship roles on many different teams across the company! To give us a good idea about the types of problems you like to solve, and to help us figure out where you can make the greatest impact this summer, please complete the Mobile Developer Challenge. Please include a Zip file with your screenshots and submit a link for your working code in the “Mobile Challenge Submission” section of the application.
3. Please attach a cover letter addressed to AJ.
If you are in the University of Waterloo co-op program you must apply through through Waterloo Works. If you do not apply through Waterloo Works, it is your responsibility to contact your co-op rep to have this posting added to your profile.