Developer - Financial Solutions, Billing
Our team is building a mission critical system. We are looking for developers to join us who have a strong interest in working at our scale. We want to build a system that continues to allow anyone working in development at Shopify to come in, and make an impact quickly. Our team is reimagining how we can write business software at Shopify which will allow us to build financially critical operations to invoice and collect payment for services provided to merchants and pay Shopify partners.
Shopify’s Billing System and Financial Operations Engineering team builds and maintains the software for billing merchants and paying Shopify Partners. Financially critical operations such as invoicing for monthly subscription fees, computing taxes and paying application developers are responsibilities of the software developed by the team. As a key component of Shopify’s core platform, the system needs to be reliable and accurate while still providing the flexibility for adding new features to allow the Shopify platform to collect revenue or grow Shopify’s business. We’re looking for a senior developer to help us architect, build, scale and automate all of the processes in the financial pipeline from merchant user experience to financial data reconciliation and reporting.
How you will succeed
As a key component of Shopify’s core platform, the system needs to be reliable and accurate while still providing the flexibility for adding new features to collect revenue or grow Shopify’s business. You will architect, build, scale and automate all of the processes in the financial pipeline from merchant user experience, to financial data reconciliation and reporting.
You'll need to have:
- Experience with Ruby on Rails (or an equivalent framework and the desire to learn Rails quickly)
- A passion for working on mission critical systems and a strong attention to detail
- Experience with relational databases and SQL
- Experience building and scaling user-focused web applications
- Experience working on large-scale S/W systems
It'd be great if you have experience with:
- Financial systems / accounting software
- Integrating with cloud based payment processors (eg. Stripe, Paypal)
- Experience with SOX compliant S/W
- Experience building APIs using GraphQL
You'll be working on things like:
- Writing elegant code in Ruby that adds to and improves our code base in meaningful ways
- Writing front-end code both for Shopify’s merchants and internal support
- Using TDD to write well-tested code
- Responding quickly to operational issues that affect the financial pipeline
- Adding or enhancing monitoring metrics and alerts to ensure stability
- Collaborating with other designers and developers
- Fixing bugs fast and taking your time to solve hard problems well
- Learning and growing constantly
How to Apply
If you’re interested in helping us shape the future of commerce at Shopify, click the “Apply Now” button to submit your application. Please address your application to Selina. Please submit a resume and cover letter with your application. Make sure to tell us how you think you can make an impact at Shopify, and what drew you to the role.