Senior Software Developer - International Growth
At Shopify, we want to make commerce better for everyone, everywhere. Countries differ in many ways in terms of language, culture, and how people engage with commerce. We want to embrace these differences, and make Shopify the right platform for all merchants, no matter where they are on the planet.
Having the world as a target is ambitious, but we believe in our ability to succeed by being methodical and strategic. Our small team has already experimented with different approaches in India, Japan, France, Germany and Singapore, and we continually apply and build upon these learnings as we create the best platform for entrepreneurs worldwide.
Our focus on unexplored markets will have important repercussions on how we as developers build things, but also how we think about new features and projects. As a Senior Software Developer, your responsibilities will include making sure we do this in a sustainable and agile way.
Where we’re going:
We will be building for entrepreneurs in countries across many continents in the upcoming months. Our goal is to increase the number of merchants in these areas by making sure Shopify is the best platform, globally.
How you’ll have an impact:
- You will expand our current product offering to new markets by building, tweaking, and fixing various features across the Shopify platform
- You will build integrations and workflows to help the company ship all new products with international markets in mind
- You will build things for the long term, in ways that benefit as many merchants as possible
Projects you could work on:
- Local payment integrations, such as Sofort and Klarna, for markets in which credit cards aren’t as widespread as in North America
- Translation platform, an in-house set of tools to help developers request and manage translations in a transparent, non-intrusive way
- Compliance with international laws, such as GDPR and ePrivacy Regulation
- Giving back to the community by open-sourcing some key components
Relevant experience for the role:
- People with genuine interest in international markets, cultural nuances and/or product localisation
- Generalists more than specialists, people who aren’t afraid to experiment and play with anything that could stand in the way of success
- Programmers with a strong commitment to quality
- Familiarity with Ruby on Rails, or the desire to learn quickly
Who you’ll be working with:
- A diverse team of engineers, multi-disciplinary builders and leaders, country managers, and business partners that all have the same interests at heart
- You will have the chance to work in one of the biggest Ruby on Rails code base out there, as well as building new scalable services from scratch
The tools you will use include:
- MySQL, Splunk, Datadog, Mode
- Is some of this tech new to you? That’s OK! We know not everyone will come in fully familiar with this stack and we provide support to learn on the job
We know that applying to a new role takes a lot of work and we truly value your time. Tasha is looking forward to reading your application!
Experience comes in many forms, many skills are transferable, and passion goes a long way. If your experience is this close to what we’re looking for, consider applying. We know that diversity of thought makes for the best problem-solving and creative thinking, which is why we're dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team and encourage everyone to apply.