Managing Editor, UX
About the role
The UX team at Shopify creates tools that give even the most inexperienced entrepreneur the best chance to succeed. At the same time, we design solutions that help some of the world’s leading businesses manage enormous complexity. Our team is made up of over 300 Designers, Content Strategists, Researchers, and UX developers across 5 offices. While everyone at Shopify is responsible for building great experiences, our UX team has a special role in building understanding and empathy for merchants.
As the Managing Editor (UX) you will help us tell the story of Shopify’s UX team and the work that they do. You’ll be part of a UX team that’s tackling design challenges on a global scale—we’re genuinely committed to making commerce better for everyone, no matter where they’re located or their experience level. People who qualify for this role will be experienced and results oriented and have probably held job titles like editor, content producer, web producer, head of content, publication manager, or journalist.
- Editing and writing for a new digital publication that you have a hand in developing
- Finding great stories to tell and interesting people and work to highlight
- Supporting people from diverse backgrounds in finding their voice and telling their story, even if they don’t consider themselves confident storytellers
- Creating a strategy and content for social channels
- Collaborating with key stakeholders on our brand and communication teams
- Evaluating our efforts, measuring results, and iterating based on what you learn
- Exploring the potential of mediums like podcasting and video
- Identifying opportunities to tell our story in mediums outside of Shopify such as blogs, podcasts, publications, and conferences
- Building an engaged community and connecting them with Shopify career opportunities
Relevant Experience for this role:
- At least 5 years of editorial or professional writing experience, ideally for a design, UX-related, or creative lifestyle publication
- A proven track record of excellent writing and editorial skills
- A creative mindset coupled with a strong drive to get things done—we want your ideas and creative energy, but you also need to be able to carry ideas forward into action, sometimes under deadline
- Keen interest and ideally some understanding about how designers, researchers, content strategists, and developers collaborate to create great user experiences
- Interest in themes surrounding commerce and entrepreneurship
- Some experience with social media, SEO, and data analytic tools and how to use them to measure success to make informed decisions
- An understanding and ability to strategize around how to package content for different channels
- A comfort with trying out and learning new technologies on the job (eg: image editing, podcasting, etc.)
- Strong organizational skills, attention to detail, and a desire to get things done
- The ability to give feedback and nurture contributors, while being tenacious enough to push people to meet deadlines
What's in it for you?
- A collaborative, creative environment where we value experimentation and learning
- Autonomy. We don’t believe in micro-management
- A healthy work-life balance with benefits that support your full self e.g. flexible work hours, parental leave, perks to support your lifestyle (think cleaning services, athletic equipment) and catered meals to give you more time for the things you care about most
- Learning and growing with the best in the business and getting the support you need to do the best work of your career
- Building strong relationships with your teammates in a culture that values authenticity, openness, and diversity
We know that applying to a new role takes a lot of work and we value your time. Amy is looking forward to reading your application - please include a link to writing samples or a portfolio in addition to your CV & Cover Letter. We’re accepting applications until January 9th and will begin responding to candidates after that date.
This role is also posted in other locations (link to Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal, Waterloo postings) - remote applicants will be considered however people based on the East Coast of North America are strongly preferred.