Diversity & Belonging Lead
HR & Culture
Belonging is the thread that weaves through every touchpoint at Shopify. Diversity is the needle that guides this thread. At Shopify, we value and promote the diversity of our employees, our merchants, and the world. Simply put, diversity belongs.
As the Diversity and Belonging Lead at Shopify, you will operate as a trusted advisor, embedded deeply in the business, consulting on the needs of the organization and designing relevant solutions. You will work closely with Shopify leadership teams and the broader Talent (HR) organization to provide thought leadership and develop / execute diversity and belonging initiatives. Our goals are to enable the development and advancement of diverse talent, strengthen our employer brand in diverse communities, empower all Shopify employees to participate in diversity and belonging initiatives, and increase the volume of applicants and hires from underrepresented communities. Do you want to join us?
You’ll Be Working On:
- Developing a dynamic and comprehensive global diversity and belonging strategy encompassing the Shopify employee experience and the global merchant platform, with the support of the Director of Employee Experience, Diversity & Belonging and team leads
- Providing Shopify employees with the knowledge and skills needed to foster an inclusive culture through the development and facilitation of diversity and belonging trainings, workshops and learnings. You will ensure that trainings are informed by current research and are developed and delivered with a global / local lens (e.g. hidden bias, inclusive leadership, ally skills, cross-cultural competence, diversity in APAC, etc.)
- Providing consultative expertise to talent acquisition professionals, HR business partners, and business leads in the development of team- and / or discipline- specific diversity strategic plans intended to attract, grow and retain top talent
- Collaborating with internal teams to include learning & development, people analytics, and employee experience to conduct surveys, feedback sessions, focus groups, 1:1 meetings and other interactions to fully understand diversity and belonging-related challenges. You’ll utilize the findings to create and implement strategy
- Monitoring employment activities and talent practices such as interviewing processes, performance management, compensation, internal mobility, and promotions to extract and mitigate bias and identify other potential areas of diversity and belonging focus.
- Partnering with the people analytics team, to develop, maintain and monitor diversity metrics, dashboards and reports
- Developing, enhancing and maintaining relationships with current and new diversity-related organizations, partners and influencers to keep Shopify abreast of diversity and belonging industry best practices, while building an internal culture of experimentation
What We’re Looking For:
- Extensive experience in the diversity and belonging space. You have worked in recruitment, retention, training, talent management, program management, and/or strategic HR operations, with a focus on the diversity and belonging (preferably in a fast-paced environment)
- Proven ability to strategize and deliver diversity and belonging initiatives in a global organization
- Skilled facilitator with experience designing, building and implementing diversity-related learning resources
- Strong knowledge of global diversity constructs, social power dynamics, systemic oppression, and methods to dismantle inequities.
- Expertise in drawing meaningful insights from data to develop strategy, create / articulate a narrative and operationalize solutions
- Ability to navigate crucial conversations with a diverse array of global audiences.
- Experience building relationships, influencing key partners and holding relevant parties accountable
- Strong desire to work in a global, collaborative, innovative, flexible, and team-oriented environment
Bonus points if you have experience:
- In graphic design
- Facilitating / teaching using online tools
- Using ‘train the trainer’ models
- Working across global markets; a cross-cultural lens
We know that applying to a new role takes a lot of work and we truly value your time. Katie👩💻 is looking forward to reading your application. Make sure to tell us why you think this is the right role for you!
This posting will close Monday Feb 4th at 12 pm EST